Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Rubicon. Time for new tires. Is there any problem replacing the factory 255/75/17 with 285/75/17 ? Thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
If you have OEM wheels you'll probably need spacers. I ran the same size for a brief time with 1.5 spacers and nothing hit or rubbed. I'm not a off roader so can't say they wouldn't hit in rough terrain.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2018 Rubicon. Time for new tires. Is there any problem replacing the factory 255/75/17 with 285/75/17 ? Thanks.
That's almost a 34 inch tire. At 285 width you'll be good on the stock wheels, but may nee to space out a tad using wheel spacers. I'd personally get 1.25 inch to 1.5 inch spidertrax. you'll want about 1.5-2 inch bump stops. It'll be pretty stuffed looking at stock height, but will work for on road use. Are you running a lift? Those tires would be perfect with a 2 inch lift.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
How well, if at all, does that tire size fit on the stock rear tire carrier given the constraints of the third brake light and rear bumper? My 275/70r18 (~33") has very little room to spare

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
How well, if at all, does that tire size fit on the stock rear tire carrier given the constraints of the third brake light and rear bumper? My 275/70r18 (~33") has very little room to spare

I decided to change mine mine to a Smittybilt but the tire did fit on the OEM carrier before doing it. That's a picture with 285/75/17 Cooper and oem carrier.. I decided to change the carrier because the wheel+tire was 82 lbs and didn't want issues later on. I believe however the oem carrier is rated high enough for that weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts

I’m running 285/75-R17s on stock Rubicon Recon wheels. The spare fits perfect and snug with no blocking of the 3rd brake light. I’d call the spare fit perfect as it’s snug enough to stop vibrations that could damage the tailgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's almost a 34 inch tire.
It’s not almost a 34, it IS a 34. They are much closer to 34” than a “35” is to being true 35”.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I’m running 285/75-R17s on stock Rubicon Recon wheels. The spare fits perfect and snug with no blocking of the 3rd brake light. I’d call the spare fit perfect as it’s snug enough to stop vibrations that could damage the tailgate.

I decided to change mine mine to a Smittybilt but the tire did fit on the OEM carrier before doing it. That's a picture with 285/75/17 Cooper and oem carrier.. I decided to change the carrier because the wheel+tire was 82 lbs and didn't want issues later on. I believe however the oem carrier is rated high enough for that weight.
Thanks for the input. And the weight would be a concern, good point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts