Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new here. New to jeeps too. I just bought a 99 wrangler with a 2.5 in it. My question is will i notice a big dip in power if i put 31 in tires on it? thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
With the 4 banger you might notice a little bit of drop, but I don't think you'd lose 5th gear. 31's aren't really a very big increase in weight or rolling mass to cause you any grief.

I have the 6 cyl and an auto, but I ran 31's for about a year and noticed no loss of power at all.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I don't have the 2.5, so I'm not too sure, but there are plenty here at WF that do, and will be along directly to give you the straight scoop!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought a 1999 Wrangler all stock, What is the biggest tire size I can get on with out a lift. I want to fill out the wheel well and I like the wide look too. I have the 4 banger / auto and drive road so I need quiet, but they must be good in the snow for winter skiing.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
i put 31's on my 2.5 and there is a difference in power, acceleration is slow and going uphill is a bit slower.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I saw a jeep today with 285/75/R16 on it - looked great, will they fit on a stock jeep with no lift?
I know a guy that runs the equivalent to that size on his stock jeep but i wouldn't wanna run it for more than a short period of time. I know scout ran a BB with 285's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So 31's are the biggest you can fit on a stock Jeep with out a lift?
How wide?
Should I go with 15x8 wheels or 16" wheels?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought that would be the case... so I read a lot about off-set seems like wheels have different rim depth things going on. How do I get the look I want? Big as I can to fill up the wheel wells and cover up the frame rails, and nice and fat too for that mean look. I don't want an aggressive tread cause I want them quiet on the hwy. but gotta be good in snow.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
31" AT's. I have a friend who has run the BFG AT which he liked and i have a friend that has nitto terra grapplers that he also likes. i've heard the BFG AT does good in snow. don't know about the terra grappler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts