Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
07jeepX said:
Hey guys I was wondering if I could put 275/70R18 on my factory Sahara rims with no lift.......Will that work? Thanks
Did you do a search? This has been covered 5 times since last week. The wheels will cause you to rub, you could do it with aftermarket and no lift

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I was thinking of a little wider tire. Mine has 255/75 R17. Was trying to match a 70 but I notice the 65 comes closer as to not change the speedometer reading. Here was what the calculator came up with. Will the 295/65 R17 rub or would you go with the 275/70 R17?

285 65/17, diameter diff: -1.47% , speedometer will read faster than actual.
265 70/17, diameter diff: -1.41% , speedometer will read faster than actual.
235 80/17, diameter diff: -0.80% , speedometer will read faster than actual.
315 60/17, diameter diff: -0.55% , speedometer will read faster than actual.

255 75/17

295 65/17, diameter diff: +0.12% , speedometer will read slower than actual.
275 70/17, diameter diff: +0.31% , speedometer will read slower than actual.
325 60/17, diameter diff: +0.92% , speedometer will read slower than actual.
245 80/17, diameter diff: +1.17% , speedometer will read slower than actual.

Tire Calculator I used http://www.tiresizecalculator.info/

·
Jeeper
11,415 Posts
Wider is what causes the rub when turning. Taller will rub the flares over obstacles.... 255/75/17 is as big as you can go on a stock JK with no issues what so ever.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
^ Black, first up, the '03 isn't a JK, which is what we're discussing- that's called a TJ- check over in that section. Also, been up your way in Cairns (a long walk from here in New York! :))- great town, great folks- ALMOST took a job at a horse farm over there- sadly, immigrating at that point wasn't happening.

Next up, as for tire size, a shocker- someone beat me to saying my favorite line- SEARCH! :) Dang!

That said, this has been covered past the point of no return. 265 width is the widest you can run without rubbing at full lock (wheel all the way over) with OEM wheels, and no more than 32.5" in overall diameter (so 32's, basically) without a lift, or trimming the fenders- Mark W.

·
Registered
2 Posts
to thaduke2003, much thanks for putting up with silly question.... you nearly had the job of your life here down under in australia....

i ran humvees company tours through forest here and should not have been so naive with my question.... i guess i will go big tires and figure out the lift kit i want.

my 255 /75 /15 look small and the jeep looks high as if raise 2" so i may get LUCKY. Just purchased this 03TJ(sorry for past JK reference) with 40 thousand miles from young lady who is sick so happily paid the asking price of $12500 AUD. Love the vehicle.

Black seat, dash, body, so looks ready for some options. Re this forum, i hope you all can keep from hitting us newbys with the code word "shudup" which my friends use for me at will. Look forward to some tips. Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts