Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the duratracs are still back order, and I am still waiting to get them ...

anyone had the 285 70 17 installed without any rubbing issues ?

I currently have the bfg mud terrain 255 75 17, and i dont want to go smaller with the duratrac 265 70 17...

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just ordered the Duratracs. 265/70/17's. Only going to drop the Jeep .4 of an inch..thats not too bad. The 285's were back ordered.

I have the crappy Wrangler SR-A's on it now and needed something more aggressive for the winter.

I'll post pics when installed.

Cheers.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just ordered the Duratracs. 265/70/17's. Only going to drop the Jeep .4 of an inch..thats not too bad. The 285's were back ordered.

I have the crappy Wrangler SR-A's on it now and needed something more aggressive for the winter.

I'll post pics when installed.

Cheers.
so you would have gotten the 285s if they weren't back ordered ? were you told they fit ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep, I was told they would fit fine.

Unless anyone on here knows different.

·
Registered
254 Posts
if you're on stock wheels you might get some rub during flex unless you buy some wheel spacers. the stock wheels don't have enough backspacing. other than that, there are several companies (poison spyder & metalcloak are 2 I can think of right off the bat) that make fenders that will enable you to run 35's, or 37's on stock suspension for a "Low center of gravity" build. if you choose to go 35 or bigger you'll need to trim the lower front edge of your rear fender. I've had 295/70r17's and had no rub issues, but I was on a wheel with 4.75" backspacing.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
which size spacers do I need to get ? and how do spacers affect the look and performance ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Get the 1.5" spidertrax spacers. The overall stance of the Jeep will be 3" wider. IMHO it makes the jeep look much better! The wheels actually fill out the flares.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim_09_X said:
Get the 1.5" spidertrax spacers. The overall stance of the Jeep will be 3" wider. IMHO it makes the jeep look much better! The wheels actually fill out the flares.
Thanks tim, Does it affect normal driving ? My offroad practice is only every two weeks for now but i still need to get to work on a daily basis

·
Registered
254 Posts
the 1.5" makes your stock spacing correct....6.25-1.5=4.75 perfect....I would recommend using them for short term only however. spacers tend to put unwanted stress on the hub area. in the long run you'll be better off getting new wheels, but the spacers should tide you over till you can save and get the wheels of your choice. and no, it won't affect normal driving. Tim is exactly right imo in that it makes the jeep look WAY better. I have 2 sets of wheels, 1 for road and 1 for offroad

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
swingtail82 said:
the 1.5" makes your stock spacing correct....6.25-1.5=4.75 perfect....I would recommend using them for short term only however. spacers tend to put unwanted stress on the hub area. in the long run you'll be better off getting new wheels, but the spacers should tide you over till you can save and get the wheels of your choice. and no, it won't affect normal driving. Tim is exactly right imo in that it makes the jeep look WAY better. I have 2 sets of wheels, 1 for road and 1 for offroad
Thanks swingtail ! The 285 70 17 i was wishing to get are for a period of 5 months per year(winter) in summer i have my bfg mud terrains 255 75 17 , how bad is it for the amount of stress on the hub area due to the spacers ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also need to know if the 285s will be less effective than the 265s on snow and ice ... And how i have to adjust the odometer to get the correct mileage and speed...

Sorry for all those questions but after making a few calls to dealerships and tire suppliers, i realized that they know squat about all of this and you guys are so experienced with all this. Thanks again tp you all for your sharing!

·
Registered
254 Posts
stress shouldn't be real bad unless you crawl on a regular basis. it's kinda like trying to bend a piece of pipe that's 5ft. long as opposed to a 10ft. piece. it will be harder to bend the shorter piece due to the reduced length. you'll be fine as long as you don't go super extreme with your rig over a long period of time. my friend(owns a tire shop) doesn't recommend wheel spacers strictly based on hub issues he's dealt with previously.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks tim, i am still discouraged as someone told me spacers are a crap solution ...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
stress shouldn't be real bad unless you crawl on a regular basis. it's kinda like trying to bend a piece of pipe that's 5ft. long as opposed to a 10ft. piece. it will be harder to bend the shorter piece due to the reduced length. you'll be fine as long as you don't go super extreme with your rig over a long period of time. my friend(owns a tire shop) doesn't recommend wheel spacers strictly based on hub issues he's dealt with previously.
Thanks swingtail, i am still discouraged as someone told me spacers are a crap solution ...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was looking at replacing the stock tires with Duratracs for winter as well...

So will the 285/70R17 rub? Its what 0.5" of a difference?
Think I read on here the 275/70R18's rub...but thats a 33"?

So if they do rub, could new wheels with different backspacing work?

X

1 - 17 of 17 Posts