Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new set of tires. Going with 35x12.5 or 315/60.
90% of my driving is city other 10% is highway. I do not do any off-roading. I live in RI and get a fairly large amount of snow and ice in the winter.
I like the look of Nitto Trail Grapplers but sounds like they wear out on pavement and aren't good in snow.
Looking through a ton of threads looks like DuraTrac are the way to go for my needs. Just looking for some input.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I would not run the Nittos for a street tire, great on the rocks tho!

Also, in general a wide tire like a 12.5 is not going to be as good in weather as a narrower tire.

Some folks around here give some street tire love to Duratracs and Fierce Attitudes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Is it just looks you're going for? If not, why go so wide for snow or street? Looks like you'll be getting wheels too, as the 315/60 is a very wide tire for stock wheels.

I recently pulled off a set of 285/70 on aftermarket wheels, to go with a set of 255/80 Cooper ST Maxx on stock Rubi wheels. Couldn't be happier with the look, the gearing, the handling and the traction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the wider look I recently got my hands on some rims 20x10.
Was thinking about keeping my stock rim/tires an swapping out for winter use but if I could find a good year round tire that has the look that I like I will just keep it on year round.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I like the Toyo ATII and for your application, I would put on the 295/60-20. It's in their XT series so it's a bit more aggressive looking. It's around 1/2" smaller than a 35 but that little bit will pay you back in mileage and winter weather performance. They do have the 35 as well.

Otherwise, throwing wisdom out the window, I would put on the Toyo Open Country RT in 35x12.5x20...

I'm personally putting on the ATII in a 285/75-17 for nearly the same height as the 35's but a more reasonable look. The 12.5's can sometimes look over done to me.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Had mine installed yesterday.

I traded-in my Goodyear Kevlar mt's these tires are one inch shorter and two inches narrower than my 315.70.17's were. They do not fill my wheel wells with a 4 inch lift like the kevlars did. I have around 60 miles on snow pack and ice commuting over the last two days. I actually like the look and performance on winter roads is good so far. I had no complaints with the goodyear MT's however, my jeep usage has changed, I may go larger again some day but I am pleased so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts