Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there WF Brain Trust I currently have Michey Thompson LT315/70R17 Baja ATZ P3. I need to replace at least two tires as they are not evenly worn and it is causing a bit of a death wobble. I swapped the meatier rear tires for the front tires and the wobble all but disappeared.

As I understand that these Mikey tires are somewhat special and only used for mud / dirt I am curious if it makes sense to buy two new Mickey Thompson tires or just buy four new all-terrain?

If the consensus is to go for four new tires which tires do you recommend for someone that spends 90% of the time on paved roads. We would like a similarly sized tire .

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lots of people swear by BFG all terrains. They seem to have good road manners. Decent all around tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Those have the large tread blocks like the BFG M/T (KM) that came stock on my Chief. Those style tires are notorious for not wearing evenly if not FREQUENTLY rotated. I rotate mine every 3300 miles or so. As a result, mine are wearing evenly. I also do a custom five tire rotation that reverses the rotation of each tire during a rotation so they wear off the little feathering that occurs on the trailing edge of each block before it becomes an issue with vibration. (I leaned this from an experienced tire dealer many decades ago). Most rotation schemes have you simply move the rears to the front. That does almost nothing to alleviate the feathering. If you only rotate four tires, then a cross rotation does that.

The BFG KO2s are well thought of on the forum, I have had good results from the GY Duratracs as well. If you are in an area of snow and ice, the Duratracs are winter rated with the little mountain and snow symbol.

You may have some wobble, but moving the rears to the front will do nothing to alleviate DW. That is caused by suspension issues. Plain old wobble or shimmy is a tire issue usually solved by re balancing the tires with road force, large heavy tires require this. If your dealer does not do it, find a tire dealer that has a good bit of commercial and heavy truck business.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am running the Falken Widepeak All Terrain and really like them. Smooth and quiet ride, great traction on the road, grassy hills, boat ramps, etc.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you don't mind some wrenching, run some of the stocker Wrangler all terrains for the pavement, then swap over to the MTs for trail days. I do this with Dick Cepeks. OEM Wranglers on the 17" alloys are always on craigslist for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The Mickey Thompson ATZ's are a very good tire, but I'm not what you mean by "special". They are manufactured by Cooper Tire and are pretty common in my area.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
This ^^^^
I run the Cooper ST MAXX, very close to your ATZ's, and they are an awesome tire.
37k on 'em right now, close to 50%. I do rotate them every 7500 or less.
I definitely will buy them again!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Mickey Thompson ATZ's are a very good tire, but I'm not what you mean by "special". They are manufactured by Cooper Tire and are pretty common in my area.
Special meaning that they are made specifically for mud and they will wear very quickly on paved roads .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those have the large tread blocks like the BFG M/T (KM) that came stock on my Chief. Those style tires are notorious for not wearing evenly if not FREQUENTLY rotated. I rotate mine every 3300 miles or so. As a result, mine are wearing evenly. I also do a custom five tire rotation that reverses the rotation of each tire during a rotation so they wear off the little feathering that occurs on the trailing edge of each block before it becomes an issue with vibration. (I leaned this from an experienced tire dealer many decades ago). Most rotation schemes have you simply move the rears to the front. That does almost nothing to alleviate the feathering. If you only rotate four tires, then a cross rotation does that.

The BFG KO2s are well thought of on the forum, I have had good results from the GY Duratracs as well. If you are in an area of snow and ice, the Duratracs are winter rated with the little mountain and snow symbol.

You may have some wobble, but moving the rears to the front will do nothing to alleviate DW. That is caused by suspension issues. Plain old wobble or shimmy is a tire issue usually solved by re balancing the tires with road force, large heavy tires require this. If your dealer does not do it, find a tire dealer that has a good bit of commercial and heavy truck business.
Thank you very much for your input that’s very interesting there definitely was a reduction in what I believe is the death tomorrow when I moved the tires from the front to the back.

But I think you are correct I am learning that it is only masking an issue with my front suspension

·
Registered
44 Posts
Special meaning that they are made specifically for mud and they will wear very quickly on paved roads .
You sure you have the ATZ's and not the MTZ's? The MTZ's are the mud tires. The ATZ's are more of an all-terrain. We have 35" ATZ P3's on my wife jeep and they have been great so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You sure you have the ATZ's and not the MTZ's? The MTZ's are the mud tires. The ATZ's are more of an all-terrain. We have 35" ATZ P3's on my wife jeep and they have been great so far.
Yes I am sure, but I don't know why my experience has been so different from yours....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,344 Posts
I have MTZ, 37000 miles and are at half tread. I rotate every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's on a 6" lifted truck and honestly one of the best tires (if not the best tires) I've ever had. Low road noise, smooth drive. Very honest answer as to why I'm not still running them came down to price for me. I was able to get 315/70r17 Kumho Road Venture MT's pretty cheap (almost a 35"). Outside of price, very few "aggressive" tires are as smooth as the MTZ's. I also don't like how little aggressive they look compared to other "mud tires," but that's a personal opinion on aesthetics. I don't think you can go wrong with the MTZ's if price isn't a consideration. But if price wasn't a consideration, I think Toyo Open Country MT's are the best of the best. :drinks:

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm on my second set of ATZ P3's in 37s and love 'em. Because of their stickiness they are not a long distance tire. to get even wear I run them at 22-24 psi all around and rotate at 5k. Best tire I've run so far on my JK, and that includes 35" & 37" BFG KM2s, Goodyear MTR/Ks in 37s and the Mickeys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update: Had these tires installed and BOOM no more death wobble....

I didn't think it was possible but it is.

Amazing and these tires ride very well and maybe it me but I feel less rolling resistance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I spent about $660 on these new Toyos, fixed my death wobble and sold the used Mickey Thompson in FB in one day for about $300, not a bad deal overall!

·
Super Moderator
21,954 Posts
Toyo AT2's are great all around tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts