Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

I've just hit 30,000 miles and my stock tires on my HardRock are getting pretty close to needing replacement. I have no idea where to start with tire shopping.

The stock tires have been okay, but I'm looking for longer tire life and better handling in wet conditions. I drive about 75% highway, 20% off road. Good handling in snow is essential. I off road on all kinds of terrain...from sharp rocky stuff here in Colorado, to deep sand and slick rock in Utah. Occasional mud.

Quiet tires would be nice, but performance is much more important. Not breaking the bank would help too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Katie

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Look at Cooper ST Maxx.......like them waaaaaay more than I did my KOs.
I'd also say the Coopers, although I'm a huge fan of Nitto and would suggest looking at the Ridge Grapplers, although they may be a bit spendy.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
You need to state what size you want. I have in the last 3 months been on ko2 in 34x10.5-17,Toyota R/T in 35/12.5-17 and cooper stmaxx in 285/75-17's and in the last couple years you could add several sizes of Toyo at2's in the mix as well.

All good tires of those mentioned Toyo R/T is at top of the list followed closely by the ST max followed closely by the at2 followed closely by the ko2. If just using in winter conditions order would be reversed. All are great tires for what you describe your intended use will be.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I ran a set of Cooper AT3's and then a set of Cooper ATP's on a Tacoma before I traded it on a Wrangler. Quiet and good road manners. Amazing traction in the rain (high silica tread) OK in the mud, never stuck but spun a fair bit. No problems on rock or gravel. As a bonus Cooper often has some of the best prices.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need to state what size you want. I have in the last 3 months been on ko2 in 34x10.5-17,Toyota R/T in 35/12.5-17 and cooper stmaxx in 285/75-17's and in the last couple years you could add several sizes of Toyo at2's in the mix as well.
I'm not sure about tire size. I believe my stock tires are 32's (255/75-17) but I'll have to double check. Wouldn't mind going a little larger if it won't create problems, but not planning to upsize the wheels or get a lift anytime soon.

Thanks for all the tire advice! I'll be spending some time researching ideas.

Thanks,
Katie

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
If winter driving is high priority go with the GY Duratrac. They are great in winter weather. There is also the Kanati Trail Hog which is a copy of the Duratrac.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I'm not sure about tire size. I believe my stock tires are 32's (255/75-17) but I'll have to double check. Wouldn't mind going a little larger if it won't create problems, but not planning to upsize the wheels or get a lift anytime soon.

Thanks,
Katie
255/80-17 fit perfect on stock rims as do 34x10.5-17. I ran my 34x10.5-17 on stock rims.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
BFGoodrich KO2's
What he said ^

There are more aggressive looking tyres, there are better looking tyres, but these are the best combination of looks and performance (from all that I have read)... I have them on my Jeep
X3

KO2s would be great for what you describe, also Duratracs look good, are siped, and very quiet. For not much wheeling, the latter wouldn't be too risky. Some have had side wall cuts pretty easy with em.

·
Registered
5,862 Posts

Thanks,
Katie
Yes Katie, your Hard Rock has 255/75/17 just as mine does. My rig too is nearing that seemingly magical 30,000 mile threshold when it's time for a tire change. I will more than likely go with KO2s because I have had good luck with them, but any of the tires listed above will be good as well. As far as size, I am looking at going to either 265/70 or 275/70 because I can get them in load range E (a little stiffer for offroad use).

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I have a Recon... Do you think I would need to do a lift to use 34x10.5s?
no. you will be fine unless you really offroad hard which if you are not lifted you probably are not wheeling crazy hard.

just today I pulled my aev 2.5 lift as I sold it and I have tall 285/75-17 cooper st maxx which are considerably bigger than my 34x10.5 were and they fit fine. I put on some 18/60 coils and 1/2" teraflex spacers and they are fine. I think the recon comes with even taller coils.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'll throw one more into the mix. Nitto ridge grapplers I just put a set on my hard rock and they are great in the rain, quiet on the road and awesome off road. We just did some hard wheeling this weekend, rocks, dirt grass and deep mud and not once lost traction where everyone else was spinning tires. Two folks from our group were impressed enough to look at them for replacements and one of thise owns a 4wd shop. Haven't had them in snow yet but all the reviews say they are excellent. FYI I've been loyal to the bfg at's for many years but these ridge grapplers really rock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

Just wanted to thank you guys for suggestions and leave a quick update. I went with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and am so far pleased with them.

They are pretty quiet on the highway. I can actually hear the engine, rather than the tires though, of course, the most recent thing I have to compare them to is the well worn, and very loud, tires that were on there. Even with the doors off, I don't have to crank my stereo up to hear my music anymore, so pretty happy about that.

Got them put on the Jeep on Thursday, and took the Jeep up a local trail called Red Cone on Friday. They seemed to do well on the trail (even without airing down). They were definitely less "slippy" than the stock tires ever were, even on wet and muddy rocks. Haven't found a snow patch yet to play around in.

They are slightly smaller than the stock tires, which I was a little concerned about, but I think they still fit the look of the Jeep well and I don't really notice the difference, except there is a little more space between the top of the tire and the tire carrier tail light.

Here's a picture from Friday, on the top of Red Cone with the new tires!

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've only had my JK for two weeks, but I love the BFG KO-2s that came with the Cold Weather Package. I've had a chance to give them a workout both off road and on the highway and I am extremely impressed with them. Mine are 265/70-17s, but I'm pretty sure they come in your stock size as well (255/75-70), which are actually a half inch taller than mine. Highly recommend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts