Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 32s on the jeep now but think it would look better and do better off roading with 35s.

Wondering if anyone had any advice or could talk about some pros and cons of going up to 35s?

image-2301226065.jpg

·
Registered
723 Posts
35's do have more ground clearance. They also take more power to turn. You should also regear. If you are still running the rear Dana 35, STOP. Do not procede. More lift is necessary. More lift means other modifications for proper steering. Upgrade the front axle to TJ style shafts.

35's also require more brake power to stop. An axle upgrade helps. Most YJ's came with a single diaphragm brake booster. Installing the late model YJ Dual Diaphragm or modify for the TJ Dual Diaphragm booster should also be high on the list. You will need a better jack to reach the axles for the spare. If you carry the spare tire on the rear you will need an aftermarket tire carrier with associated mods.

JK's on 35's require less work than the YJ's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have front and rear dana 44s right now and 3.73 gears i believe. I do use this quite a bit driving to work and around town but dont take it on the highway really. Re-gearing is quite the process isnt it??

As well as the upgraded breaks? I have no idea what i have right now in that department, i mean they seem extremely good right now but who knows.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Your D44's should be fine, maybe go cromo axles when possible. I'm assuming you have a 4.0, if that's correct your 3.73's will not be ideal, but definitely okay for turning 35's, if you have a 4 banger you'll need to regear. Rear disc's would be great, but the stock brakes are doable. I ran with stock brakes while I was building my 8.8 and they stopped the 35's okay. Besides making sure you have room, steering is one area you'll need to address at some point. I'm running a RuffStuff 1 ton Y link steering, it's s big improvement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your D44's should be fine, maybe go cromo axles when possible. I'm assuming you have a 4.0, if that's correct your 3.73's will not be ideal, but definitely okay for turning 35's, if you have a 4 banger you'll need to regear. Rear disc's would be great, but the stock brakes are doable. I ran with stock brakes while I was building my 8.8 and they stopped the 35's okay. Besides making sure you have room, steering is one area you'll need to address at some point. I'm running a RuffStuff 1 ton Y link steering, it's s big improvement.
I have the 4.0 inline 6cyl which seems to run great with the 32s but i hear if i go to 35s i will probably lose 5th gear? Would it be smarter to just go to 33's (or 34s if they even make those)?

I have a friend who knows a guy that re-geared his jeep for free and i could get it done pretty cheap, but he told me that i wouldnt need it even if i went to 35s?

I live in vermont where there are insane amount of backroads everywhere so i generally wouldnt cry if i did lose 5th, i just want it to drive okay on the roads and not suck and make me look stupid getting stuck all the time on the trails.

I am really new to this whole jeeping thing and am trying to learn as much as i can while improving my jeep. I appreciate the help from this forum.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I love running 35's. I know lots of guys who run them with 4.10's, I ran them on 3.55 for awhile while I was building it and I could use 5th gear on the flats. I think you'll be fine. If you can do it cheap 4.56 gears are ideal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me just try and recap, i can go to 35s without really doing anything and be okay, buutt, i should try and re-gear to 4.56, upgrade my brakes, and look into upgrading my steering?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yes pretty much. You can go 35's and be happy for some time with what you have. Hit those other areas when and if you find the need. Know that with 35's if you have worn steering or front end parts, the problem will be exasperated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do agree that 35s will tuck up under those fenders nicely :)

Keep in mind that what will go wrong will go wrong quicker with the larger tires. You will find every weak point in your drivetrain. So be prepared. Plus, not only does the issues surface quicker, but then you'll just want more... More power, more articulation, more torque. It never stops; however, I'm not sure its a bad thing!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any suggestions on which tires i should go for? I have been thinking of keeping the tires and rims i have now to use for winter and getting new rims and bigger tires for more off roading in the summer.

So I was hoping to find some really good off roading tires that still do fairly well on the road as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts