Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured there would be a thread on this already and I'm still guessing there is, but I can't find a thing. So what do people think about tire warranties / replacement certificates? Makes me feel like I'm saying yes to the best buy warranty that I make of point of refusing every time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch, sorry man. I wouldn't say a lot, or even regularly, but I certainly want the option and will when I get the chance.

·
Registered
571 Posts
If you wheel alot I would get it. I didn't have the option but wish I did. This might happen to you:
The warranty is usually only for "road hazards."

That said, I once tore a sidewall after hitting some debris on a Roadway. I didn't purchase the warranty so had to cough up $ for a new tire. But I always wondered, if I did have the warranty would they honor it or accuse me of tearing the tire while wheeling.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Ouch, sorry man. I wouldn't say a lot, or even regularly, but I certainly want the option and will when I get the chance.
I wasn't even doing a "trail" when this happened. Just driving alot the edge of a rock garden to get a picture with the group, and didn't see the rock. I have wheeled all kinds of parks and not had an issue. It goes to prove it can be a freak accident. How much is the warranty?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Going Rate for Originals

DTD shows 40 bucks a tire for the 315/70r/17 duratracs.
That's what I was quoted for "stock" 255/17s.

"Nail" down what your coverage is when you're not near a rep. For instance, do you have to haul the blowout around with you for the rest of vacation so you can bring it home for replacement? If so, what do you do for a spare until then? Or is it for credit only? Practical stuff like that.
A national chain might help get your contract honored better if you travel a lot.

That said, I've done well on the passenger car. That was only $75 years ago for the four and I turned it down because, after all, how often do you destroy a tire on a passenger car? I mean, if it's not destroyed they'll just patch it which my chain does for free anyway.
I destroyed a tire and they offered the warranty again pre-incident. The tire was still under normal warranty and, since it was new, woulda only cost me $50 prorated for a new 90,000 mile Michelin. Knowing you NEvER DESTROY a tire, I thought why waste net $25 additional for something that will never happen? Then I thought "Wait. For $25 I'll never have another tire problem?!!" So I paid.
Another driver crowded me hard against a curb, blowing a sidewall.
I brought in the blown tire and there were no questions, just a brand new 90,000 mile Michelin for $zer0 out of pocket.
So, it can work if you're a hard driver, and it has worked for me.
Just anecdotal, I know. You might wish to decide actuarily.

I know exactly what you mean about Best Buy, though. Like, "What's wrong with these tires such that they need a warranty?"

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
The nice thing about dtd's certificates is they are no questions asked, just request a new tire and they'll send you a new tire. At least that was the deal when i bought mine.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have a policy about extra warranties: I never buy em. Ever. Not for DVD players, not for iphones, not for Jeep tires.

Not saying they're bad. I can see a use for em...especially when it comes to something like tires. But I've never bought one, and have yet to regret it.

Now watch, tomorrow I'll hit a piece of angle iron on my way to the airport, and trash one of my 35's. :rolleyes:

But that's okay, cuz I made the choice knowing full well the potential consequences, and all my years of no-extra-warranty buying will cover the cost of that tire...

·
Registered
11,035 Posts
kbwwolf said:
I have a policy about extra warranties: I never buy em. Ever. Not for DVD players, not for iphones, not for Jeep tires.

Not saying they're bad. I can see a use for em...especially when it comes to something like tires. But I've never bought one, and have yet to regret it.

Now watch, tomorrow I'll hit a piece of angle iron on my way to the airport, and trash one of my 35's. :rolleyes:

But that's okay, cuz I made the choice knowing full well the potential consequences...
You're leaving tomorrow? :(

Be safe over there! Or as best you can :thumb:

I've only had to use one of my certificates when i sliced open the sidewall. So it worked out to be one tire half price :rofl:

In most cases i do the same as you do, no extra warranties.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
You're leaving tomorrow? :(

Be safe over there! Or as best you can :thumb:

I've only had to use one of my certificates when i sliced open the sidewall. So it worked out to be one tire half price :rofl:

In most cases i do the same as you do, no extra warranties.
Thanks.

Fixing to go eat some Italian food for dinner, courtesy of the gf. The proverbial Last Supper. :D

Kind've a tradition, when I've got time to do it.

I always get nervous before going to something like this, but once I touch down it's just work, albeit a little more disturbing. Oddly, the cameras act as filters, of a sort. There'll be photos I look at on my laptop on the flight home and think, "What on earth am I doing in this godforsaken place?" Generally don't have such thoughts while I'm there. Hmm.

But to get back on topic...don't know where my policy against extra warranties comes from, to tell the truth. But it's ingrained, at this point in my life. Tires, though...I always feel the pull to make an exception, but never have.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just stopped by goodyear and their "warranty" works differently. They basically pro rate the replacement tire based on the purchase price of the original tire and how long it is into a three year term. They claim with DTD or tire rack you need to buy the replacement and send the old one on before they send you a refund on your new tire.

On a side note they had 5 315s in stock an man am I excited to get my hands on this jeep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts