Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were getting new tires and didn't offroad a bunch only occasional, would you spend the money on discount tire's tire warranty? Looks like it would cost me about $50 a tire if I understood the DT salesman correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Absolutely. The roads have all kinds of junk on them just waiting to trash a side wall. It has almost always paid off for me with company trucks as well as personal vehicles.

·
Registered
276 Posts
100% yes. I think mine from DTD were only $25 per tire. I had to use it a month after I got mine. The tread is so deep I was able to pick up a bolt (not a nail) that punctured too close to the side wall to patch, so I needed a new $240 tire...cost me nothing.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I do believe they certs are $21 a tire. I buy them every time I get tires and have used them very time. I would get them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My 315/70-17's were $40 per and for the first time I actually purchased the protection. Ive just had a bad stretch of dealing with flats etc due to debris in the road.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I wouldn't. I've only had two flats in my entire life and one of those was directly my fault. The money you'd spend on the warranty will buy another tire for a spare.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No. In the long run if it was likely to benefit you the business selling these wouldn't exist.
^yep! Although I will say, if you live/drive in an area that doesn't have the best roads (potholes, construction zones, etc), it may work out ok for you. When I lived in Queens(NYC) I got the insurance & ended up getting 4 brand new tires over the course of 2yrs. Queens was good for 2 flats/year.

But generally speaking, businesses offer this because it makes them money (as opposed to saving you $)

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Ours has already paid for itself. One day of wheeling and popped a sidewall. Called DTD and they replaced it, no questions asked. Had the new tire in two days. I definitely think it's worth it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ours has already paid for itself. One day of wheeling and popped a sidewall. Called DTD and they replaced it, no questions asked. Had the new tire in two days. I definitely think it's worth it.
Your sample size is insufficient to make that conclusion. In this ONE instance it paid off, in the long run you will pay more if you keep buying these warranties. Warranties are a huge profit center for the businesses that offer them because they don't pay out as much as they take in. If that were not true they would not be offered, period.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Your sample size is insufficient to make that conclusion. In this ONE instance it paid off, in the long run you will pay more if you keep buying these warranties. Warranties are a huge profit center for the businesses that offer them because they don't pay out as much as they take in. If that were not true they would not be offered, period.
Notice I said that I think it's worth it. I didn't tell the OP they should buy it. I was simply stating our experience in dealing with a claim and how it worked out for us, so that the OP knew how quickly/easily it was dealt with with the DTD warranty...

We like to take our jeeps offroad in places where you can't always see what objects are hiding in the sand waiting to take out a tire. And you can't always tell what rock may actually be sharp enough to cut through a sidewall from the driver's seat when you're picking your line. For us, that warranty allows us to play harder than if we constantly had to worry about what MIGHT happen.

Everyone has to decide what they are willing to pay for. Lots of people here think the maxcare extended warranty is worth the cost. For us, it's not worth it because: we've modded our jeeps, Mike is pretty handy about being able to fix things and if something does go wrong, we'd choose to use upgraded, aftermarket parts which you can't do with the warranties. I try to make sure those people find the guy who can give them the best price, but I don't tell them they SHOULD or SHOULDN'T buy it based on my bad experiences with them in the past.

Don't they say that peace of mind is priceless? :)

mhicanders, I hope we can agree to disagree here and not take over the thread with warranty debates, and I hope we can still be friends. :flowers:

·
Registered
830 Posts
I agree that for some people piece of mind is worth something. If you make your decisions based on emotions (piece of mind) vs. facts (it will not pay off for the vast majority of people) that's certainly your prerogative. Perhaps we don't disagree on the facts just the decision making process.

I think I've had my say on the subject.:drinks:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I always get the warranty, but have never paid more than $20 per tire (I've ordered so many times from DTD that they usually will only charge me for three tires and throw in the fourth warranty certificate free). I've had two tires replaced already under the warranty so it has paid for itself many times over. As for the argument that DTD makes out in the end, that's true of all insurance. I've paid tens of thousands of dollars in car, home, life, etc. insurance over the last 20 years and have gotten little return for my money. Yet I don't see too many people advising others to not get car or homeowners insurance. I view it as just another form of insurance.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I agree that for some people piece of mind is worth something. If you make your decisions based on emotions (piece of mind) vs. facts (it will not pay off for the vast majority of people) that's certainly your prerogative. Perhaps we don't disagree on the facts just the decision making process.

I think I've had my say on the subject.:drinks:
It's five o'clock somewhere, right? :D :drinks:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just bought tires Monday from DTD and I normally order online but I had some questions so I called them. They ended up giving me $20 off the total order of tires and then took another $30 off the replacement certificate total. All in all it saved me $50 and I never even asked for a discount. So I recommend calling to place orders.

·
Registered
47 Posts
As for the argument that DTD makes out in the end, that's true of all insurance. I've paid tens of thousands of dollars in car, home, life, etc. insurance over the last 20 years and have gotten little return for my money. Yet I don't see too many people advising others to not get car or homeowners insurance. I view it as just another form of insurance.
This is true about all insurance, but there's a big difference in having to replace a tire & having to replace an entire car or home. That's not really a fair comparison. These things can bankrupt a person- losing a tire won't.

A fairer comparison would be that insurance places try to sell you for a new phone (iphone, etc). Everyone should and can make their own decision about whether or not these types of insurance are worth it. I feel in most situations they're not, but that's not to say they don't work for some. I've purchased tire insurance before. I've never purchased phone insurance.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I buy the "Cert's" for the convenience of the lifetime balance and rotation plus the free replacement road hazard warranty And as always the price is negotiable with discount tire.:)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I know many warranties won't cover a failure that was caused by "off road" use (TireRack).

That being said I'm not sure how they'd know whether or not you destroyed your tire while off road or on road.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This is true about all insurance, but there's a big difference in having to replace a tire & having to replace an entire car or home. That's not really a fair comparison. These things can bankrupt a person- losing a tire won't.

A fairer comparison would be that insurance places try to sell you for a new phone (iphone, etc). Everyone should and can make their own decision about whether or not these types of insurance are worth it. I feel in most situations they're not, but that's not to say they don't work for some. I've purchased tire insurance before. I've never purchased phone insurance.
See, I NEVER buy warranties on electronics. I would agree that that is a total waste of money. But for tires, something exposed to daily damage from nails, rocks, glass, etc. I just feel it is worth the price. Especially if you can negotiate a deal like I always do to pay for 3 tire warranties and get the fourth free. $60 to insure my tires for 50K miles ain't bad imho. And one other thing, unlike many of these warranties, DTD really does take care of you. When I had two of my tires damaged, I called DTD, explained the situation, and one week later two new tires were on my door step. They did not even ask for a pic of the damage or any sort of proof. I will not buy tires/wheels from any other place, DTD knows customer service.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts