Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is already second time that my 2 door 2013 Rubi gets the slight bump on the back on traffic. Thank God is not like a crash but a slight push.

Now my question lies on, should I need to worry? Both times the car was so low that their hood merely bumped my lower part of the tire with the cover on.

I double checked everything and looks good so far. Wheel, tire and door looks good.

why cant ppl keep their distance for once? I am glad it was on bumper to bumper traffic. Imagine if we didnt had the spare there?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm embarrassed to say that I backed into someone while jockeying for position in the gas line at Costco (so much for my rear view camera). $1,000 damage to the Toyota Tundra's front end, zero damage to my Jeep. Stock steel HR bumper with AEV tire mount - pretty stout stuff.

·
Registered
799 Posts
They sell beaver tail hitch attachments for rear enders. I know some guys with 2 door wranglers who keep cargo carriers attached to their jeeps 24/7. I don't know if it's for the lack of room inside or a crumple zone.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
They sell beaver tail hitch attachments for rear enders. I know some guys with 2 door wranglers who keep cargo carriers attached to their jeeps 24/7. I don't know if it's for the lack of room inside or a crumple zone.
Huh. I always thought those beaver tail hitch attachments were for use as a step. Nice dual purpose.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did this:
https://www.amazon.com/Tyger-Auto-TG-HS8U81238-Protector-Stabilizer/dp/B0786SGH33/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2DGJW73DW8012&keywords=tyger+step+hitch&qid=1555605429&s=gateway&sprefix=tyger+step,aps,135&sr=8-3

...together with a hitch drop dual extension bracket:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VGL7LG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also added red reflective tape to the back of the step, and an LED hitch brake light on the upper receiver. If someone manages to still hit me at this point, I will not feel bad for them.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
A nice solid 2" trailer hitch and ball seems to keep them away form that rear tire....
Nice big Mercedes sedan in our area driving around with a nice V in his front bumper.

Idiot. Hope is was worth it to him to nudge though the traffic light and block traffic.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I love my pintle, I even bought a trailer with a pintle loop so I could have an excuse to get the hitch.
My Jeep is "Snoopy" and the trailer is "Red Baron".
The lunette ring makes it harder to steal too.

MemDay16.2 003_zpsfyy7frhk.jpg

·
Registered
300 Posts
Is already second time that my 2 door 2013 Rubi gets the slight bump on the back on traffic. Thank God is not like a crash but a slight push.

Now my question lies on, should I need to worry? Both times the car was so low that their hood merely bumped my lower part of the tire with the cover on.

I double checked everything and looks good so far. Wheel, tire and door looks good.

why cant ppl keep their distance for once? I am glad it was on bumper to bumper traffic. Imagine if we didnt had the spare there?
I got bumped a couple summers ago, didn't notice anything and we went on our way. A week later when driving in the rain I noticed a good amount of water blowing in the back on the hinge side of the tailgate at the window. I think she bent the hinge slightly and it wasn't sealing completely. A short strip of door seal from Lowes took care of the water ingress.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I have the Rampage Recovery bumpers. People are less likely to bump when they know they will be the only one with damage.

Reactions: gat

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
"Asshole in the Mercedes" taps my brother in law's Honda CRV in the back. He has a ball hitch to tow his 15' fishing boat- always leaves the hitch on the car. We felt a little tap, which was the Mercedes catching the lip of the front bumper on the ball. As we started moving again, we heard a funny noise and then crazy honking from behind as we ripped the nose off the car. The guy tried to blame us for the accident. Pretty funny. We stopped the way home at the auto parts store for a drop hitch for my '10 Wrangler. -I never tow anything.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I never remove my pintle
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514183_200514183
It's taken a few knocks from sleepy motorists behind me. They regretted it.

View attachment 4143789

I generally always keep my "monster hook" attached (only to remove to respray lithium grease as required to minimize rust from forming ect) all the time...stupid people....not too long ago has some guy for what ever reason just stop behind my jeep as I was already mid reverse (sticking in to the asile way by half a cars length with my 2 door) so I know he had to have seen me as he went around....I didn't bump him but rolled into him....tried to call me blind and dumb.....yea well next time wait....but what ever....I live in an area with poor drivers it seems?

·
Registered
508 Posts
While I'm all for strong/protective bumpers, I also am not above distracted behavior (see post #4). It seems that purposefully putting on unnecessary items that jut out, just to better damage someone else's vehicle is excessive. Is it simply a sign of the times that we want to "punish" each other? I come here for Jeep tips, not DIYs on trailer hitch battering rams and quick-draw gun rigs. Trump has us all riled up (including me) - let's try to keep it calm.

BTW, the Tundra driver that I backed into was civil and understanding. I appreciated his demeanor - let's try to emulate it.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts

You are a patient man.
I might have been arrested for assault after 2 rear end hits!!!
Too many people driving with their heads in their sphincter

Reactions: Swamp_Stomper

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well appreciate the input guys. I am still debating to just go with my current stuff for now. since adding new heavy bumper is gonna slow me down way more.

I was more concerned if I will be seeing some problems after couple bumps on my rear tire carrier.

I am glad it was on bumper to bumper traffic where we all are stuck and somehow the other person got sleepy or looking at their cellphone.

Funny thing was one of those idiots was blaming me for his car hitting me , lol. took him some slow seconds to realize he didnt have a case.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts