Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The jeep wont start. I turn the key and there is electricity inside the car and the battery is running at full power. I took off my starter and brought it to autozone to get tested and it passed. The only way i can start the jeep is if I stick a screwdriver in by the starter and touch the 2 bolts to get a spark and then it starts. I think its my ignition switch that is shot. Where is the ignition switch at so i can look at replacing it? Thanks fellow jeepers

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Hmm, are you 100% sure that your battery is providing full cranking amps? It might be fully charged with voltage, but that doesn't mean that it's giving you the proper amperage, you can get that tested too at Autozone.

Is your starter even turning over when you crank by key? You didn't mention that, if that's the case, you can go for the switch but they last a pretty long time, it's definitely in the wiring somewhere, maybe a broken or frayed wire, could be the switch though. Keep troubleshooting and keep us posted. Please don't use the screwdriver method to start her up it's really dangerous.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Whatever your touching with the screw driver is your problem. By tapping those posts you are jumping the relay or starter. Have it checked or try a known good alternate.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Whatever your touching with the screw driver is your problem. By tapping those posts you are jumping the relay or starter. Have it checked or try a known good alternate.
Yeah he is bypassing the starter solenoid, of which I do not know if the test that at Autozone when they test the starter. If the starter solenoid is bad, then it won't crank at all or very weakly. You can jump the solenoid but you can shock yourself, or forget that the Jeep is in gear and run your arm over lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
2 things I want to mention.
1) You can put in a toggle switch on those 2 post to get her running for now.

2) I had the same exact issue with my buick. Turn the key, everything powered on, except no cranking. I can get it started by using the screwdriver method. Look under your steering column at your ignition switch and those wires. See if one is cut or spliced into. (the big wire) as it was in my buick. If it is cut (or like mine was, had an old wireless start that died) that could be the issue. I had to replace my starter because I broke it, but it all came to a sime wire splice that was free to do.

Good luck. Hope that helps a little.
EDIT: I see you are not sure where the ignition switch is, This will help.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ignition-switch-replacement-how-444158/

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesnt even try to turn over when i turn the key. The test at autozone tests the starter and the solenoid and both are good. It is something between the key hole and the starter. Whether it is the ignition switch or the wiring, im not sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do not run a switch to cross the solenoid as it is very high amperage. You would be asking for a fire doing that.

You need a second set of hands to help you test here. Grab a test light ( or make one with a 12v light and a piece of wire.). Find the starter wire from your ignition at the starter. With your test light on that wire, have someone turn the key to start and check for powers. Your test light should light up. If not, start testing back along that line. If you get to the firewall, move to the bottom of your steering column in the cab. Find the same starter wire and test again.

For a simple fix if it is in the ignition switch, you could run 12v to a button and then to your stater switch.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
For the record, beneath 26 volts doesn't have strength to cause serious damage. The biggest risks are running yourself over, as mentioned, or causing an ignition source for fammables or combustables, also mentioned.

Run a 12ga or larger wire from your pos to a 25A (or 30A) fuse, then to a 25A-50A (no lower than the fuse) push button or momentary toggle switch. Run the other side of the switch to your starter. If your solenoid and starter are good, it'll crank whenever you push the button. It will start with the key in the ignition. You may want a control switch before the button, just in case.

This is also how you bypass a NSS.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Hailtothevictors said:
what do you mean by "run a 12ga or larger wire from "your pos"?"
Positive battery post. See your other thread.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hailtothevictors said:
what do you mean by "run a 12ga or larger wire from "your pos"?"
12ga wire (12 gage) meaning size of the wire. And pos meaning the positive terminal on your battery.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Blueridge is telling you to find a 12V+ power supply and run it to your momentary contact switch then to the starter. My PO actually used the rear washer switch as the starter switch. He used I think the radio hot wire as the trigger +source. Turned the key on making the wire hot to trigger the solenoid. The source supply doesnt have to carry the starter amperage, just enough to trigger the relay.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Thanks fellers.

DesertYJ that is hilarious man. Absolutly genious AND hilarious.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Hailtothevictors said:
Thank you guys for your help
I wasn't born knowing it. Someone took the time with me too.

My pleasure.

·
Registered
194 Posts
let us now if it had anything to do with the ignition switch. And the toggle switch idea was just a quick fix, not meant to be a permanent solution. lol.

Good luck. I just wish we could all see the jeep as id it were in our driveway.That's be awesome.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i had the same issue with my 88 and replace the ignition switch on top of the steering column (PITA to get to), and that solved my problem, switched out the tumbler as well (after the IS was replaced and tested) just to get all new non-worn out stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The push button is in and working. My guess is that the ignition switch just went bad. I wont be able to tell for sure until i can take a better look at it but that might not be for a little while.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts