Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my Willys 2014 ready for new 35's (currently running stock). I really want Nitto MUD GRAPPLER for the aggressive look and Noise. Problem is i rarely off-road and live in Minnesota. I only drive about 7/8k a year on it. Just about ready to do it but now the Nitto Ridge GRAPPLER is whispering that it would be a better by for Snow and Wet Roads. Can someone KICK me in the right direction?

I have 3.25 Lift installed and new Tire Carrier in box ready for me to install.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I drive about the same as you, and also have a 14 Willys, went with Duratrac's and have been very happy with them. Aggressive looks, good road manners and they do a good job in the rain and snow here in the PNW.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply, I am going to go with 1 of the NITTO's just not sure if it is DUMB move to to get the Mud vs. the Ridge. I have read review after review on the Mud's in wet and snow and with reviews they are all over the board. Hoping someone that has them can tell me if good more or bad.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ridge grapplers will fair a lot better in snow and wet roadways than the mud terrain. At least from my experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
goes to show, everyone needs help. Not sure how i missed that and that might be the winner. That one looks good. I was just on tunnel vision with The MG but starting thinking at might not be good in a MN Winter...............THANKS

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ridge grapplers would definitely be the way to go if you’re on ice and snow. Even the trail grappler performance will be horrible on icy roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Ridge grapplers would definitely be the way to go if you’re on ice and snow. Even the trail grappler performance will be horrible on icy roads
^^this^^

I run 35x11.5 Trail Grapplers on the Wrangler, 265/70 Ridge Grapplers on the Tacoma. Trail Grapplers excel on trails, no where else. And they're loud. Mud Grapplers are going to be Trail Grapplers².

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have Ridge Grapplers and drove in one of the worst downpours I ever had to drive in and they did great. This was for about 2 hours, highway at 70 mph...can't say I enjoyed it but the tires did much better than any mud terrain I have ever had.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Ridge grapplers. They do great in the snow out here in the north east. After a recent off roading trip I’m sold and getting them again. They do so great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Trail Grapplers and do about 25k miles per year. I like the tires and they did really well this winter in the snow. I don't find them to be too loud and are wearing fairly well. With that said given the mileage I do I'll probably turn to BFG All Terrains when I wear out my Trail Grapplers but to be honest I really like the look of my JKUR with the Trail Grapplers better than All Terrains.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
well, i have BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T-A KM and the trail grappler has to be similar to those. I don't think they are that great in snow either
I am in Prior Lake. I run Nitto Trails 35 x 12.5 and after about 40k I am due for a net set of tires this fall. I love Trail Grapplers on road, off road, in rain, and snow. They really suck on ice. When it come time to replace I will go with the same tire. The road manner and off road capabilities make it the right tire for me.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I live in Michigan and have found that mud terrain tires give much worse performance in snow/ice than all terrain tires do.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
I live in Michigan and have found that mud terrain tires give much worse performance in snow/ice than all terrain tires do.

It depends on the type of snow. On ice and packed snow (city driving) any MT pretty much sucks. An AT is better (Winter tires even better). In deep fresh snow however a MT is the best for the job, so you really have to decide what kind of Winter driving you need the tires for.

I do a lot of Winter driving on unplowed back roads so I chose to go with MT's and suffer a bit when it comes to the city driving, but if you do more city than back roads you may want it the other way around.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am in the same boat as you.... I am going to buy new rims and tires... 315 Cooper STTs for spring, summer, fall..... I will use stock rims for dedicated winter tires.....

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
Ridge Grappler. Mud or Trail Grappler would not be my recommendation.

Also you dont mention but are you planning to properly gear and reinforce the axle? Highly recommend - those are big heavy tires.

·
Super Moderator
15,033 Posts
Never Mud Grapplers... Horrible tire. If you just want/need the exotic look, go for the Yokohama XMT's.

Otherwise, for your stated use, the Ridge Grappler would be MILES better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final decision

Thanks all, I have some thinking to do but it is now between Nitto Trail and Ridge. Thinking never ends when upgrading
I went with 35" Nitto Ridge Grappler's and Helo HE878 Wheels. Set FlashCal to 34" and all is good.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts