Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, Search is terrible on my Turbo. Can I fit 285 75 17 on factory rims without a lift and not rub? I have a 2012 Unlimited Sport S

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That is what I was able to find on the PC, below 34 is good, and that maths out to a 33.85. Just hoping for real world, always afraid of just looking at numbers. And I know I used math as a verb.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have two possible rub points.

1 - The sidewall could rub on the swaybar or air dam, or anything the tire could come in contact with when turning. The width of the tire and the wheel back spacing can help or hurt this.

I'm running 285/70/17s on factory wheels, so same width you are talking about and I had a slight rub on one side with the sway bar. I used the washers on the steering stops to fix mine as it was minimal. I removed my air dam so it wasn't an issue there.

2 - You could have travel rubbing issues, as in your tire moving up and down in the wheel well as the axle flexes or moves. Street driving with a 285/75 you will be fine, but off-road you will definitely have rubbing issues without adding some bump stop and limiting your travel.

I have 1.5" RK lift coils and still have decent fender clearance with my 285/70s, but would have to go to flat fenders with a 285/75 to get enough travel to my liking.

I hope that makes sense! Please ask if it doesn't!

image-909812499.jpg

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sure does help. My air dam is narrowed, and my wheeling is limited to fire roads a few times a year here in Jersey. I thought the fit was good based on the reading I have done here, but was hoping for some real world, that you were awesome to provide me with.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You have two possible rub points. 1 - The sidewall could rub on the swaybar or air dam, or anything the tire could come in contact with when turning. The width of the tire and the wheel back spacing can help or hurt this. I'm running 285/70/17s on factory wheels, so same width you are talking about and I had a slight rub on one side with the sway bar. I used the washers on the steering stops to fix mine as it was minimal. I removed my air dam so it wasn't an issue there. 2 - You could have travel rubbing issues, as in your tire moving up and down in the wheel well as the axle flexes or moves. Street driving with a 285/75 you will be fine, but off-road you will definitely have rubbing issues without adding some bump stop and limiting your travel. I have 1.5" RK lift coils and still have decent fender clearance with my 285/70s, but would have to go to flat fenders with a 285/75 to get enough travel to my liking. I hope that makes sense! Please ask if it doesn't!
A 285/75-17 will rub at turning even more than a 285/70-17. Although they are both the same width, the extra height means more tire reach pivoting front and rear when you turn.

·
Registered
222 Posts
A 285/75-17 will rub at turning even more than a 285/70-17. Although they are both the same width, the extra height means more tire reach pivoting front and rear when you turn.
Definitely agree, I had not taken that extra height into account until you said that.

It sure does help. My air dam is narrowed, and my wheeling is limited to fire roads a few times a year here in Jersey. I thought the fit was good based on the reading I have done here, but was hoping for some real world, that you were awesome to provide me with.
With a 285/75, I would still look at trimming your factory fenders to make them flat, or getting some flat fenders. I think, in time, you will want some more clearance in that area. After 14Trailcrawler made his point, I would say they will more than likely rub the sway bar. Some people have no rubbing with a 285/70, some have minor rubbing, and some have bad rubbing. With that extra height,mother will probably rub.

·
He's no good to me dead.
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info, had then change to 285 70 17, not a big profile difference and no change in cost. Thanks for the help! It's always great to get advice from those that know

1 - 10 of 10 Posts