Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello jk forum. Here is my situation.

I am getting my new 2014 sahara unlimited white :bop: tomorrow. I am trading in my jk unlimited sport cherry red :puke: soo I want to transfer my 33's but will I need to do any balancing, align, etc? And also in July I will be driving from ny to s Carolina so I will put the stock tires back on. Any advice for that as well? Thanks a lot. This forum :awesome:

Ed

·
Registered
813 Posts
I assume you are swapping wheels and tires. If so, You shouldn't have any issues with balance or alignment. You can swap your wheels back and forth without issue. The only issue would be your speedometer / odometer calibration. With the 33's installed, you will be traveling faster and further than indicated. Easily remedied with an AEV Procal or similar tool.

If you are talking about remounting tires, you have bigger issues than balance and alignment because the Sahara wheels are 18" and your Sport is 16" or 17".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no, no remount. My 33's are on their own rims with enough backspacing, thanks. Ok cool. What about in 2 months when I put stock back on? Should I get them looked at for a long drive ahead of me? Thanks.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
There are some that suggest rebalancing tires as often as you change your oil. While I wouldn't suggest that, rebalancing can help your tires to wear evenly so you get the most life out of them. I find that the tires on my daily driver go out of balance more often (or it's just more noticeable) than the 35's on my TJ.

If they feel out of balance or if you have the extra $60 a balance every now and then isn't a bad idea, but it's certainly not necessary when switching from one vehicle to another.

Alignment is separate from tires all together that that won't be effected by switching wheels and tires. Let me know if you have any questions at all!

-Ryan

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I agree with XTRyan. The bigger the tires and the more aggressive the tread the more often you should balance them and rotate them. If you drive off road and the wheels get banged around a lot then an alignment check is also a good idea if you value the tread life of your tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts