Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I visited my dealerships service department and the service advisor who verified that he makes commission and gets incentives off selling tires, mentioned that I should go the route of getting all-terrain tires before Winter and replace my stock Mudding tires on my Willys Wrangler.

My wrangler only has 1500 miles on it, and he said the life expectancy is around 20000 miles on my mud tires and I will have to rotate every 3000 miles. I understand the rotation 110% but is it true that these will only last 20000 miles?

I feel as he was just trying to sell me for the all-terrain. Yes I do drive more on-road versus off-road. Its a 75/25 ratio - but does this demand that I need the all-terrain before Winter like he said? I want to at least use my current stock mud tires for a while before I get new all-terrain.

He also mentioned that all-terrain will last about 60000 miles, when I looked up the life expectancy on Google it stated on most websites and articles they last 40000 miles about

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You don't mention what tires you have. That would help. They all do different things better and will all last different mileage. Millions of vehicles use mud terrains in the snow, you should be fine.

I'd run them until they are worn out, and that will be likely close to 20k miles.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
You would be amazed at the low lifespan of new vehicle tires put on at the factory these days. If the compound is fairly soft you could wear them out in 20-30k. Having a second set is not a terrible idea to get a longer life from the MT tires you have. Just need a storage space, and the willingness to swap tires when needed.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your dealer is correct, for a change: on average, Mud Terrain tires tend to last half as long as All-Terrain tires, and tend to get noisier and bumpier as they wear out. Also, Mud Terrains in general do notoriously poor on snow covered roads —although they usually do better in deep snow...e.g., 1+ ft of it.

I don’t know where you are, but if winter is a “thing,” I’d take him up on a set of All-Terrains. The combination of a rear LSD and AT tires will get your Willys through winter like a dream.

You should be able to resell those Firestone Destination MTs with 3,000 miles on Craigslist relatively easily.

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
PS - any of the leading ATs, like BFG KO2, GY Duratrac, Falken Wildpeak AT3W, General Grabber ATX, will serve you well.

The dealer is going to try to put you into the exact same size as you got now. I’d go one size up, perhaps to a 275/70R17. You will enjoy the slightly wider tire.

Also, a lot of people buy Rubicon “takeoffs”, which are 285/70R17 KO2s. You can get an entire set with low miles for $800-$1000.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
I assume your Willys came with KM2 MT tires. So a set of AT tires like the KO2 would probably work better for you. But that doesn't mean you can't just run the KM2's until they are worn out. There are plenty of Wranglers running around on the stock KM2's they came with. The guy at the dealership is just trying to talk you into buying new tires. You don't need new tires. While I am not a fan of the tires you have now, nothing wrong with running them a lot longer before swapping them out. And now is not a good time to be buying tires, many of the better tires are in short supply or no supply. Hard to get a good price on a good set of tires for a Jeep right now. So I would not replace a perfectly good set of tires.

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Willys comes with Firestone Destination MTs.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

It is one the better MTs out there, but still not “ideal” for on-road/snow driving.

·
Super Moderator
16,609 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your dealer is correct, for a change: on average, Mud Terrain tires tend to last half as long as All-Terrain tires, and tend to get noisier and bumpier as they wear out. Also, Mud Terrains in general do notoriously poor on snow covered roads —although they usually do better in deep snow...e.g., 1+ ft of it.

I don’t know where you are, but if winter is a “thing,” I’d take him up on a set of All-Terrains. The combination of a rear LSD and AT tires will get your Willys through winter like a dream.

You should be able to resell those Firestone Destination MTs with 3,000 miles on Craigslist relatively easily.

Good luck!
I agree completely... @Diertz If you get inclement weather, even just a lot of wet, the MT's are a horrible tire in those conditions. The Falken AT3W is by far my favorite, but the KO2's are also very good tires. Keep your MT's and put them back on in the summer, or sell them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You would be amazed at the low lifespan of new vehicle tires put on at the factory these days. If the compound is fairly soft you could wear them out in 20-30k. Having a second set is not a terrible idea to get a longer life from the MT tires you have. Just need a storage space, and the willingness to swap tires when needed.
I'm also not a fan typically of the tires they put on from the factory.. My 2021 JLU Sahara came with the Bridgestone tires.. I had the dealer take those off and install a set of the KO2's before I took delivery.. Posted the Bridgestones on Fakebook Marketplace, sold them within a few days.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ll go against the grain here and recommend sticking with MTs. I’ve ran MTs full time for over 10 years now with no complaints. I’m rural in northern Ohio and when we get snow the rural roads stay pretty messy and in my experience ATs performed worse than my MTs. BFG KO2’s were terrible even on wet roads and doubly so off-road in deep snow or mud; terribly overrated tire IMO.

For a few years I ran Mickey Thompson MTZs, but have since switched to MT/R’s, which are my favorite tire ever. Road manners are very good and off-road performance greatly exceeds any AT. In summary it’s all positives other than they will wear out twice as fast as an AT, but the benefits make it worth it for me. Your mileage may vary.

At the very least I’d stick with your MTs this winter in order to get first hand experience.

·
Registered
950 Posts
It would help if Diertz mentioned where he/she lived only for the benefit of local weather conditions.

It's an unnecessary expense to swap out a set of tires at 1500m. If they are rotated at 5K, you'll likely get 30K out of that set before they become noisy. While MT's aren't he best on slippery roads, neither are K02's, so you just need to slow down on curves, fly-over ramps, etc. If you're hard pressed for a change, get a set of takeoffs with Falken Wildpeak AT3W (off a Gladiator) and just swap them for a few months. Again, that's a good tire. I wouldn't just swap it out.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My stock mud terrains had 25k on them when I swapped to 35’s. I did 5 tire rotations every 2,500 miles. Pic is when I swapped them out.
Take care of your tires and they will take care of you !

I would never buy tires from a Jeep dealership
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Reactions: superduty

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Yeah. Normally I’d go to Discount Tire. But Jeep dealers have a deal through Mopar right now if you buy 3 tires you get the 4th for $1.

Remember you’d be buying 5 tires.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Why are BFG KO2's getting such a bad rap?

View attachment 4525152
I think it's the all around best tire out there for a Wrangler. Tough, good traction and wear. I'm looking for a set of takeoffs for a '21 I just bought.
I think the Wildpeaks handle a bit better on wet traction/flyover ramps, but tend to get noisier sooner. The factory Bridgestones just don't look Jeep-worthy. I currently have seven jeeps, we have had just about every tire.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey all - just saw these posts. I appreciate the feedback gladly! I’m in the mid-Michigan area so our winters aren’t terrible but can get bad sometimes. It seems like the logical/economical idea for my situation would be to get the all-terrain set on the bogo deal and sell the stock mud set

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah. Normally I’d go to Discount Tire. But Jeep dealers have a deal through Mopar right now if you buy 3 tires you get the 4th for $1.

Remember you’d be buying 5 tires.

Aldo - Don't you also have a set of those cheap-ass bananna peal KO2's on your Jeep? What were you and I thinking when we were tire shopping? 😁

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think it's the all around best tire out there for a Wrangler. Tough, good traction and wear. I'm looking for a set of takeoffs for a '21 I just bought.
I think the Wildpeaks handle a bit better on wet traction/flyover ramps, but tend to get noisier sooner. The factory Bridgestones just don't look Jeep-worthy. I currently have seven jeeps, we have had just about every tire.
Agreed on the factory Bridgestones... I dunno why Jeep doesn't offer tire upgrades on the Sahara... I'd of gladly paid an extra $500-600 for that upgrade... The braintrust at Jeep surely have to know a large majority of Wranglers get upgraded tires even if staying with stock rims.. No wussy tires allowed

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hey all - just saw these posts. I appreciate the feedback gladly! I’m in the mid-Michigan area so our winters aren’t terrible but can get bad sometimes. It seems like the logical/economical idea for my situation would be to get the all-terrain set on the bogo deal and sell the stock mud set
I used to run MT's on the Grayling (MI) snow run (every January for a number of years), no need for you to rush.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I used to run MT's on the Grayling (MI) snow run (every January for a number of years), no need for you to rush.
I've been thru there before... Years ago we'd go mushroom hunting in Vanderbilt.. Plus my grandparents and aunt used to own a Christmas Tree farm close to Falmouth..

1 - 20 of 39 Posts