Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Why are BFG KO2's getting such a bad rap?

View attachment 4525152
KO2 has been the best-selling truck tire for many years, but the competition has caught on. There are now many good alternatives out there, but that doesn’t take away from the fact that KO2 remains an excellent all-around tire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your dealer is correct, for a change: on average, Mud Terrain tires tend to last half as long as All-Terrain tires, and tend to get noisier and bumpier as they wear out. Also, Mud Terrains in general do notoriously poor on snow covered roads —although they usually do better in deep snow...e.g., 1+ ft of it.
Nailed it. A/T treads almost always have siping and that makes a HUGE difference in traction in rain & snow. Most M/T tires don't. Yeah, you can run M/T tires in the snow just fine in most cases. But your dealer is correct. It's up to you where you draw the line.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So I got two quotes for a tire set of 5 thru the dealer - are these good prices and which would be the best? I’m open to spending the extra money on the BFG if its worth it. I’ll be mostly driving on the road or highway, not too much offroad

FALKEN
WILDPEAK A/T3W
All-Season
($1001 Total/5)

BFGOODRICH
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO 2
All-Season
($1077 Total/5)

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Can’t go wrong with either of them.

Falkens have been on backorder lately. If your dealer can get hold of them, that’d be super cool.

BTW, both of those tires are all-terrains, not all-seasons.

BTW2, what size tires is he quoting you?

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Can’t go wrong with either of them.

Falkens have been on backorder lately. If your dealer can get hold of them, that’d be super cool.

BTW, both of those tires are all-terrains, not all-seasons.

BTW2, what size tires is he quoting you?
Tire size is LT285/70R17
Which would be better for a Wrangler that is mostly used on city roads and highways - all terrain or season? Would it matter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took advantage of the dealership buy 3 get 1 for $1 deal on my Grand Cherokee. Got the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail. Not a good idea.

The deal was for 4 tires mounted, not balanced (gotcha). Ended up spending more for a balancing later. At which point only the tires were covered by warranty, not the install or balancing.

The Falkens looked great, aggressive, very good in rain, but always wobbled. After paying to have them balanced 3 times, I ended up spending far more than just going somewhere else.

The frustration and wobble that never went away were part of the reason I traded it in for my new JLUR.

Please save yourself some money and avoid frustration by learning from my mistake. Buy from a shop with a good reputation who work with tires daily.

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
If you are running factory wheels, the 285/70R17 tires will rub at full lock. That is the size of tire that is on the JL Rubicon, but the Rubicon also has axles that are 2" longer than non-Rubicons to clear those tires on factory wheels. You can adjust the stops on the yoke on each end of the front axle so the Jeep will not turn quite as tight as it does not.

I am running the BFG KO2s in 285/70R17 on my '17 Chief and love them. They are a good tire and and are 3 peak winter rated (symbol has mountain with 3 peaks and snowflake). To make the tires clear on my JKU, I have after market wheels with back spacing of 5.2". The factory wheels with 6.0" of backspace are in storage. A set of 275/70R17 tires will clear.

That being said, the $1100 quote on the KO2 is a good price if that includes mounting and balancing. It's $500 less than I paid for my 5 last summer.

All season tires have tread that is for pavement only - a street tire, like the GY SR-A.. The All-Terrain is a more aggressive tire designed for on and off road use. The all season tires come on the mini-vans btw. They are also more like 3 season that all season as they are not winter rated. Here in the south where snow and ice are rare (2 snow falls in 20 years neither one more that 1/2") they are all season, but not in the snow belt.

BTW my Chief came with BFG KMs very similar to the tires on your Willys. I took them off with 22K miles because they were getting noisy. Yes, they needed rotating more frequently than normal tires, I rotated them every 3300 miles. If you have space to store them you put the knarly tires back on in the spring, but I think part of the good price is that they will put them back on there tire rack for sale next spring.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have Falken Wildpeak AT3W's on my Cherokee, they are great, I have the Destination MT2's on my wrangler and in fact, they are siped. They have good snow ratings compared to other MT tires.

·
Registered
376 Posts
So I got two quotes for a tire set of 5 thru the dealer - are these good prices and which would be the best? I’m open to spending the extra money on the BFG if its worth it. I’ll be mostly driving on the road or highway, not too much offroad

FALKEN
WILDPEAK A/T3W
All-Season
($1001 Total/5)

BFGOODRICH
ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO 2
All-Season
($1077 Total/5)
That's a heck of a good price on the KO2's. I checked Tirerack site for the exact same tire, $1348.00, 5 tires, and that was with a $100 mail in rebate..

The only difference might be Tirerack has a road hazard warranty

·
Super Moderator
11,801 Posts
Don’t forget TireRack needs to add shipping to your ZIP code.

·
Registered
793 Posts
So I visited my dealerships service department and the service advisor who verified that he makes commission and gets incentives off selling tires, mentioned that I should go the route of getting all-terrain tires before Winter and replace my stock Mudding tires on my Willys Wrangler.

My wrangler only has 1500 miles on it, and he said the life expectancy is around 20000 miles on my mud tires and I will have to rotate every 3000 miles. I understand the rotation 110% but is it true that these will only last 20000 miles?

I feel as he was just trying to sell me for the all-terrain. Yes I do drive more on-road versus off-road. Its a 75/25 ratio - but does this demand that I need the all-terrain before Winter like he said? I want to at least use my current stock mud tires for a while before I get new all-terrain.

He also mentioned that all-terrain will last about 60000 miles, when I looked up the life expectancy on Google it stated on most websites and articles they last 40000 miles about
I had 38,000 on my Willy's when I traded it in. The mud terrain tires still had half their tread but the sidewalls were cracking. I rotated every 6,000 miles (5 tire). Be ready for a very loud tire after rotation for about a month.

·
Super Moderator
16,609 Posts
Tire size is LT285/70R17
Which would be better for a Wrangler that is mostly used on city roads and highways - all terrain or season? Would it matter?
If mostly city and highway, don't get the LT... Go for the P rated tire. I'd do the AT3W, but you won't be disappointed with either.

Font Circle Event Pattern Electric blue

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
If mostly city and highway, don't get the LT... Go for the P rated tire. I'd do the AT3W, but you won't be disappointed with either.
X2..on the AT3W

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I had 60k miles on my stock BFG Mud Terrain 2015 JKUR when I replaced them. Never a flat. Do not remember the tread depth but they still looked good when I took them off. No extreme crawling but plenty of mud, dirt, and rocky roads.

Reactions: Chugiakguy

·
Registered
467 Posts
I had 60k miles on my stock BFG Mud Terrain 2015 JKUR when I replaced them. Never a flat. Do not remember the tread depth but they still looked good when I took them off. No extreme crawling but plenty of mud, dirt, and rocky roads.
Ronkers, I strongly suspect that the Jeep owners who are reporting getting only 20,000 or 25,000 miles on their stock MT tires are the same people who routinely drive 80 mph on the highway (and 15-20 mph over the speed limit everywhere else), take freeway on-ramp and off-ramp cloverleafs at 45 mph, and invariably brake excessively hard at every light and every stop sign.

In other words, prudent and reasonable driving will reward you in much longer tire life.

If one insists on routinely drive like a reckless and ignorant 16 year-old punk who just got their driver's license that very day, that is their choice, but they are going to pay for it, in multiple ways.

PS: I own a 25 year old Dodge pickup truck, with 154,000 miles on it, and I am on only my second set of tires (which admittedly do need to be replaced at this point).

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
I agree with you Chugiakguy, they also complain of poor gas mileage. I got rid of mine at 22K miles, not because of wear, but of because of the tire noise. I went to the KO2's and was blessed on the way back home with no tire noise.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Tire size is LT285/70R17
All season is a tire that sucks at everything but dry, IMO. All terrain is more aggressive. However, as was noted, the two AT tires you mentioned are 3PMSF rated, and are truly "all season" in that they work great in all comditions, including snow. They are the next best thing to a snow tire. They are better than any all season tire in everything except dry, where they still work great. Slightly heavier, slightly louder, slightly less gas mileage.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

21 - 39 of 39 Posts