Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some rims to put on my wife’s Jeep. They are 20 x 10. When I called to get tires they told me I would want 275R60x20. Will these fit on her Jeep with out any mods? Lift kit or spacers?

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
what backspacing do the wheels have? basically a 33x10.8 tire. Not something I would want but to each his own. Might need a small lift ie 2" spacer lift. If the backspacing of the new wheels is around 4.5" you will be fine that way. two things I would not do is run a 20" wheel on less than a 37" tire and I would not run a 10" wide rim with a 10.8" wide tire. Everyone has different tastes tho.

·
Premium Member
6,736 Posts
That tire size in the BFG KO2 is a 33" tire which otherwise would fit without a lift. However, BFG also gives the acceptable wheel width as 7" to 9.5" which would indicate the wheels are too wide to mount that tire.

If you have not mounted the tires, you may be able to return the wheels and get the same style just a bit narrower. The tires in that size are a Load Range D as well whereas your stock OEM tires were a LR C. Those tires will not ride as smoothly as the stock tires.

I learned many years ago that it is best to research the tires and wheels together, although I understand that you see a set of wheels you like and jump on them.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Tire size is OK.
What is the backspace or offset of the wheel?

Depending on tire, it could be a very firm ride because of of little sidewall flex.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
33's on 20" wheels, that's not gonna ride very good.

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
33's on 20" wheels, that's not gonna ride very good.
X2 it will ride like a fork truck bump ouch ouch bump lol and look like..well I will just say not my cup o tea but everyone has different tastes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
X2 it will ride like a fork truck bump ouch ouch bump lol and look like..well I will just say not my cup o tea but everyone has different tastes.
Yup, very true.
and surely doesn't look very good, jmo

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
Yeah, those rims really need a larger tire. That size tire is too small for that wheel, according to the tire manufacturers specs and according to my butt. It will ride rough.
For that size rim you want at least a 35x12.5 tire, which means you need a lift or flat fenders. And it will be a more noticeable change to the gearing.
Do that not make that wheel in a more normal 17 or 18" size?

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
Yeah, those rims really need a larger tire. That size tire is too small for that wheel, according to the tire manufacturers specs and according to my butt. It will ride rough.
For that size rim you want at least a 35x12.5 tire, which means you need a lift or flat fenders. And it will be a more noticeable change to the gearing.
Do that not make that wheel in a more normal 17 or 18" size?
realistically I think a 35x12.5 tire is way too small for a 20x12 wheel. 37 minimum for a 20" wheel and more like a 40" and I would not want any more than a 10" wheel for any width tire. 12" wide wheel will push the bead out to far for offroading.

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
realistically I think a 35x12.5 tire is way too small for a 20x12 wheel. 37 minimum for a 20" wheel and more like a 40" and I would not want any more than a 10" wheel for any width tire. 12" wide wheel will push the bead out to far for offroading.
Personally, I agree with you. I would not run a 20" wheel unless I was running at least a 40" tire.
But sadly, you do see plenty of people around here running 35" tires on 20" wheels. Typically they are mall crawlers. I would not do it, but it is fairly common. But even those people don't usually run a 33" tire on a 20" x 10" wheel. That will ride worse and look funny on a Jeep.
But it is a free country.

I assume the Jeep in question won't see dirt. A 20" wheel without at least a 40" tire would be horrible off road, but not everyone takes their Jeep off road. In fact, you, I , and many people on this forum are in the minority. More Jeeps don't do off road than do, I think.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Personally, I'd go with a 305/55-20 tire, which is a 33x12.50. Or better yet, add a 2.5 inch lift and run a 35x12.50. But that would depend on your drivetrain and gearing. I just think a 275mm wide tire is just too narrow for a 10 inch wide wheel, especially one 20 inches in diameter. IMO, it would just look odd.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts