Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Commercial Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't do them both at the same time so I'm asking which should go on first. My options are:

1. 315/70 17 with 1.5 inch spacers (KO2's). Stock wheels.

2. 2.5 inch Terraflex lift with shocks.

Will the tires fit on a stock Rubicon Hardrock?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I don't think the tires will fit with a stock JK. They rub on every little bump. I'd wait and do it all at once. If you are dead set at doing one, I would do the lift first.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Lift. Then tires. You will rub on every little bump if you go 35's. Unless you run flat fenders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wandell

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I agree. Do the lift, then the tires. Unless you wanna go ahead and trim your flares.

·
Registered
230 Posts
With the jkur you will be fine. I added bumpers, wheels and 35" tires first and had no issues at all with road driving or full wheel turns. Of course I did add the AEV 2.5" lift. First picture is before and second is after.

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the jkur you will be fine. I added bumpers, wheels and 35" tires first and had no issues at all with road driving or full wheel turns. Of course I did add the AEV 2.5" lift. First picture is before and second is after.
Really? No need to trim anything? Remove anything? Which brand and size tire are you running?

I was just looking at installing the lift.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Toyo A/T 35s. On 18" XD wheels. Will be fine for in town driving. You will get a "rub" hitting a big speed bump at 30 mph though. But no damage at all. And I added the significantly heavier AEV bumpers. I drove like that for nearly 4 months. Actually got lots of thumbs up comments on the lowered look. The jkur has a much better suspension then the sport. Which is what most people write about.

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lift it first for sure; before you go to 35's, which is essentially what the 315 is, you will want to trim your rock rails or they will rub.

Trimming the rails is required with the lift? What is this? Grinding down the edges at full turn?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Trimming the rails is required with the lift? What is this? Grinding down the edges at full turn?
no. If you just want to drive around town you are fine in the short term. Seriously. My jkur had no issue on full turns. It only rubbed if I hit a big bump at 40 or so mph. But I agree, you will want the loft eventually. I think he is talking about 37s

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Sorry for the confusion; the rock rails will rub on 35's with any flex. I speak from experience with both a 2.5" and 35's. My tires were grinding down the plastic caps on the Hard Rock - rock rails.

It's the larger tires that will cause the problem with or without the lift.

·
Commercial Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the confusion; the rock rails will rub on 35's with any flex. I speak from experience with both a 2.5" and 35's. My tires were grinding down the plastic caps on the Hard Rock - rock rails.

It's the larger tires that will cause the problem with or without the lift.

Would 295 or 305 have the same end cap rubbing problem? Would I have problems with fitment on the stock tire carrier?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Would 295 or 305 have the same end cap rubbing problem? Would I have problems with fitment on the stock tire carrier?
You never really know until you try it, I have 35" KM2's with a 2.5" with no rubbing of the rock rails even at full flex. The KM2's run small though and other brands will vary. I was able to fit the KM2's on a stock tire carrier with 4.63" backspacing.

Try them out first and if they rub the rails then just trim them and if it doesn't fit the stock carrier then you can easily fix that too. There are options other than getting a whole new tire carrier.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72f89

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Probably no rubbing on the rock rail with those sizes, but tire carrier is all about the weight, not the size. Once you go above stock on the tire carrier you are asking for trouble.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Definitely lift it 1st. That's how I did my mod plan in steps, and you will be fine going that route. Some think it just looks odd, with a lift and the smaller tires. Look preferences doesn't break anything.

If you do tires 1st, then you are taking risks of damaging tires, fenders, etc and if you're having to do things in steps anyway, then those steps likely don't include replacing those new tires prematurely and other surround parts like fenders.

Here's my JKU with stock wheels/tires and 3in of lift.

Here's the same lift with 315/70/R17s/ tires and wheels added 5 months later.

315/70/R17s will fit on stock wheels. However, many shops won't mount them for you, because the width of the wheels are smaller than the tire manufacturers specified wheel widths. Many have done it, it's just not highly recommended and you may have to shop around to find a shop that will mount them for you.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Lift first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts