Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance, newbie here.....

Purchasing my first Jeep tomorrow. Ready to dive in head first to the Jeep world! Picking up a 98 TJ that needs new tires. It currently has 32 11.50 R15 LT on it. The price for a new set of these tires is out of my current budget. Need something cheaper till I can put a nice set on.

Question is, what other sizes tires can I run on 15" wheels? It will be my daily driver with very light off roading (dirt roads). Jeep has 3" body lift.

Any advice?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Welcome! Many size tires can fit 15" wheels like 31's and 35's. A 3" body lift is a very bad choice in lift because it separates the body too far from the frame. Many suggest the highest body lift to be 1.25".

If you plan to keep the 3" BL (highly not recommended) 32" tires tires is the way to go. Anything smaller also works. I'd suggest to immediately take off the body lift and put on some 31's which is about the biggest you can go with no lift.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
You can run most anything made for a 15" wheel. I wouldn't go any smaller than 235/75 15. The smaller the tires get the goofier it will look. Are the tires on it that bad?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for info guys. The tires aren't showing steel, but they need replacing now.

As said before, new to this. What is bad abt the 3" body lift? I understand it's far from frame, but what issues can this cause. Previous owner had for 9 years and has had no issues.....maybe something in particular I need to check out before buying?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just check this thread and Jerry explains why... http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/adding-body-lift-666785.html

Also check for rust on the frame near the body mounts. If you have any questions about the jeep, make another thread and be sure to post pics, price, and your future intentions on building it (like 35" tires in future).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and guidance. Back to the tires....Suppose I drop the BL to 1", with plans of SL in future, will the 235/75-15 tires look bad for now?

Remember, needing budget tires for time being....any tire recommendations?

·
Registered
581 Posts
235/75-15 seems to be a 29" tire. I don't think that would look that pretty with a 1" BL especially if you add a SL. I can't recommend any tire brands, sorry. For reference, here's stock height and 31 inch tires. Now imagine adding a two inch gap between the tires and fenders (1" BL + Diff in [(31-29)"/2]).
Jeep 31s No lift.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here's my Jeep with 3 inches of lift (Suspension, but still same height as yours) with 30x9.5.15 tires. I want to go larger..32's, but I don't think it looks that bad how it sits now.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Throw some 31s on it & call it a day. Drop the 3" BL & go back to stock or a 1.25". Either way lose the gap tooth BL.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Here's my Jeep with 3 inches of lift (Suspension, but still same height as yours) with 30x9.5.15 tires. I want to go larger..32's, but I don't think it looks that bad how it sits now.
reb6672,

Thanks for the picture, I was wondering what my 'ol girl would look like lifted. Good enough for me until I wear down my BFG KO's enough to warrant buying new larger tires.

Bob

·
Registered
278 Posts
For what it's worth...my 98 has a 2" BL from the PO that I am dropping to a 1" but am adding a 2" SL. As for the tires, I'm dropping the 18" rims and going to 15" rims but for now, and just getting something to get me through the summer. Already picked up a set of rims for $25 (set...of 4) and then I kept looking and looking and found a 'set' of 31x10.5x15 for $150 that I talked down to $100. Since the tires are on a set of rims, I'll be selling those rims (6-lug) for $40 OBO so my 'temporary' set of rims and tires are only costing me around $100.

So what I'm saying is, look around and find a set of used tires - they are out there. Then, as the money comes in, buy your new ones in the size you want. I'm buying my new rims and tires sometime in the Fall - am planning on going with 15" black steelies through trailmastersuspension.com (@40/ea) and then probably the Treadwright Guard Dog 31's w/kedge grip (treadwright.com). Total cost for 5 rims and tires...$945 delivered.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I will definitely be taking down the BL as recommended. Will likely go 31" tires for now. Any recommendations on a 31" tire you have run? Wanting to stay around $500-$600 for set of 4.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Any recommendations on a 31" tire you have run? Wanting to stay around $500-$600 for set of 4.
Not that I've run, but have researched (good reviews on the Guard Dog - haven't researched the Warden's because I want a more aggressive tread):

Treadwright Guard Dog @ 124.99/ea = 499.96 + shipping
(https://www.treadwright.com/individual-product/141/GUARD%20DOG-31-11R15.00-C)

Treadwright Warden @ 109.99/ea = 439.96 + shipping
(https://www.treadwright.com/individual-product/69/WARDEN-31-11R15.00-C)

Also, they have a 5% discount going on through 3/25...so $474.96 and $417.96 respectively. So...just sayin.......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Falken Wildpeaks. Triple ply sidewall & wear like iron. Probably get a discount as WF member through Discount Tire too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's on my 01 (31x10.5x15) and they've been great and wear really well! I was bitten by the modification bug (as you will too one day) and am about to put a Zones 4.25 kit and 33's on soon - but I've been extremely happy with my Revo 2's! If you belong to Costco - you can get them just under $600 this month! BTW...there is no Modification Repellant out there, so don't bother looking for it - you just wake up one day and you're infected! Enjoy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Falken Wildpeaks. Triple ply sidewall & wear like iron. Probably get a discount as WF member through Discount Tire too.
Thanks for all the recommendations. Got some decisions to make. I am reading good things about the Falken Wildpeaks A/T, as SurfKaster recommended. Anybody else ran these with success?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had 265/70/r17 Falken Wildpeaks for about a year and have been very happy with them. Probably the best performing street tire I've run on a jeep, very well behaved even on slick surfaces, and the little bit of snow we had here in the DC area this winter. Only knocks against the Wildpeaks is that they aren't as aggressive-looking as some other AT tires, and apparently they aren't very good in the mud (although the little bit of mud that I have gotten myself into cleaned out very quickly once I hit pavement).

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
If yer on a budget stick with an AT. They wear/last a lot longer than an MT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BTW...there is no Modification Repellant out there, so don't bother looking for it - you just wake up one day and you're infected! Enjoy!
gvest, Only owned a Jeep 3 days and can already see how this happens!

The 3" BL being removed and new tires being installed Monday. Went with Falken WildPeaks A/T. Going back to stock lift. Here it is w/ BL

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts