Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 09' JK X bone stock. I need some advice on a plan of action to begin my modding adventures.

I have read that after installing smitty flat fenders i could clear 35's on stock suspension. :whistling: Anyone know if this is true or not? If true i wanted to get some new duratracs mounted on my stock rims for now as i need tires bad and dont have the funds for rims, tires and a lift.

In a month or so i would like to get Rims and eventually the Metal Cloak 3" Lift with teraflex-tuned fox shocks and 4.88 gears.

My JK is my DD so im shooting for a good highway ride. I do a moderate amount of wheeling in the north MN backwoods so i don't need anything too crazy.

Any advice is welcome as i am pretty new to the JK scene. Appreciate your time guys! :punk: <3

·
Registered
590 Posts
With flat fenders you should be OK with 35" tires, but why mount new tires on your existing rims if you are going to buy new rims in a month or so??

That will just mean you have to pay twice for mounting and balancing. I will just wait and do it all at once.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Disco'd and flexed you will still rub a little with no lift. My 35" KM2s rubbed a few times when offroading and i'm running fenderless with no lift atm.

·
Registered
386 Posts
in your case...( I ) would do the lift first, then wheels and tires. this does not mean you have to buy them in that order. with the lift, tires will fit without changing the fender flairs. I also have an 09 sport.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With flat fenders you should be OK with 35" tires, but why mount new tires on your existing rims if you are going to buy new rims in a month or so??

That will just mean you have to pay twice for mounting and balancing. I will just wait and do it all at once.
I ordered the flat fenders last night. Thanks for the confirmation.

The tires i have on are end of life and i need new ones asap. Im ok with mounting and balancing twice. Although I might just keep my stock rims for a bit if they aren't too bad. Maybe some plati-dip or something to spice them up. Who knows. 315/70/17 should fit the stock sport rim correct me if im wrong.

As a result of the bigger tires i was hoping to regear also. I was told by a dude at my local off-road shop that 4.88's would be the most i would need. (i might try on 37" shoes later down the road) Any opinions on this?

Thanks bros!

·
Registered
590 Posts
The tires will fit just fine on the stock 17" rims. All you will need is 1,5" wheel spacers to keep the wheels away from the suspension. As for the re-gear, 4:88 sound about right but if you really plan to go 37" tires, then 5:13 might be better.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The tires will fit just fine on the stock 17" rims. All you will need is 1,5" wheel spacers to keep the wheels away from the suspension. As for the re-gear, 4:88 sound about right but if you really plan to go 37" tires, then 5:13 might be better.

Good Stuff! Thanks man!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My local dealer had a new Wrangler with flat fenders and 35" no lift and another Wrangler with 2" spacer lift with 35s they both looked good the clearance is close to the same.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i would imagine. 315/70/17 Duratrac M/T is what ive decided on. Anyone know of any ongoing deals that i could participate in? Otherwise Discount tire and tire rack got me between 1500 -1600 out the door for a set of 5.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yeah i would imagine. 315/70/17 Duratrac M/T is what ive decided on. Anyone know of any ongoing deals that i could participate in? Otherwise Discount tire and tire rack got me between 1500 -1600 out the door for a set of 5.
You could try the Kelly Safaris. Got mine at a local GY dealer for $7 over cost which was about $90 less than MSRP per tire.
Safari TSR Tires | Kelly Tires

1 - 10 of 10 Posts