Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have an 07 Rubicon which I have on Mamba MR1 wheels, with the stock BF Goodrich mud terrain tires. A couple weeks ago I took it to the dealership to get an oil change and tires rotated. As soon as I left the dealership, I noticed that the steering wheel wobbled when I hit between 40-60 mph.

Sure enough, I returned and they tried to charge me for a tire balance, however they didn't guarantee that would solve the issue. A couple 'techs' stated I would need new tires as they probably wore uneven, being mud tires.

Another guy there suggested that mamba mr1 wheels were junk and hard to balance since it was impossible to place weighs on the finish, causing my tires to wear uneven.

The next day, I took my Jeep to a tire place (ATCO). They rebalanced my wheels and said that it should fix the wobbling. I drove it off the lot, and the wobbling is still there. They then also suggested I put the stock wheels back on, as the mamba wheels could only be balanced with tape weighs, or by weighs on the inside.

I've read great reviews on these wheels and find this hard to believe. My tires seem to have plenty of thread left on them but I'm starting to think they may just be cupped, hence the wobbling. I bought this Jeep used and I'm not sure if the previous owner ever rotated the tires. I'm going to buy new tires and hopefully this settles it.

Any thoughts on the issue?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Get your alignment checked, also have them check to see if there is any play in any parts of the front end. also check for worn rubber bushings like on the sway bars, shocks, etc....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Death Wobble

Hello Please check with Google and type in "Jeep Death Wobble" my buddy had this happen on his 07 Wrangler X and he changed out the Track Bar, all is now well with the world again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In my experience cupped tires wobble/vibrate. My wife's Expedition had bad ball joints and as a result - cupped tires. It still vibrates a little even after replacing the ball joints, balancing and rotating the tires and aligning the front-end. I'm hopeful that the cupping will eventually wear off and it will stop vibrating - but I'm not holding my breath. Other worn front end parts like PTaylor mentioned can cause the tires to cup as well.

Seems to me that if it wasn't doing it before you rotated the tires that there's a very good chance that the tires on the back weren't, and still aren't in balance, but without seeing the tires and determining if, and how badly they are cupped it's hard to say for certain what the problem is. If new tires on the same wheels fix it then you'll know it was the cupping...

Good luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Wobble has slowly decreased to a mild vibration. I'm going to wear these tires down and replace them.

The question will be if I get mud or all terrains...

Considering I rarely go off roading and mostly drive my Jeep to run errands, and the beach, I think all terrains sound good.

You ask why I got a Rubicon then? Haha I was actually looking for a sahara when I found my rubi and got it for the price of an X, used.

I already had a check from my credit union, I walked in and stated I had a certain amount. I walked out after they said no way. The salesman then said he would take my check for the Rubi as it would be like a simple cash transaction... And that was that.

But thanx again, fellas.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good chance you have a slightly bent wheel. Just about impossible to balance. On a spin balancer the machine will balance it different everytime. If you can tell what one is causing the vibration keep it on the rear or keep it as a spare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts