Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had 285x70x17 tires installed. They were rubbing on tight turns and from what I have researched the tires shouldn't. The guy at the tire shop tells me that the rims which are the original Jeep Willy black cause the tire to set back a little more than most rims. I went back to the original size tires. Has anyone ever heard of this? I could put shims in but opted not to. Gonna wait till it's out of warranty. Then its a lift and tires.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
275 wide is the cut off point before you can run into problems with oem wheels which all have 6.25" of backspacing anything wider will usually need wheel spacers or a correct backspaced aftermarket wheel.

It is a common topic around here. There are few 285's that will fit on oem wheels without rubbing when turned lock to lock but those tires are usually non aggressive and smaller than advertised.

Many here including myself run a backspacing of 4.5", but with a 285 you could get by with a 1" wheel spacer. 1.5" and 1.75" wheel spacers would be the popular size for those using them here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had 285x70x17 tires installed. They were rubbing on tight turns and from what I have researched the tires shouldn't. The guy at the tire shop tells me that the rims which are the original Jeep Willy black cause the tire to set back a little more than most rims. I went back to the original size tires. Has anyone ever heard of this? I could put shims in but opted not to. Gonna wait till it's out of warranty. Then its a lift and tires.
Check this out. I'm thinking about the same size tires and was worried about them rubbing.

TECH TIP : Jeep JK Wrangler Steer Stop Adjustment

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I would only add washers to the steering stop for as temporary fix as it adds to your turning radius which is not a good thing if you trail your Jeep, wheel spacers or preferably a properly backspaced wheel is the best way to go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts