Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats going on folks first post so be kind lol
well i have my YJ for about 2 weeks now other than the same ol same ol
that goes on with buying a used car, nothing has came up out of the ordanary
except!
i was under the jeep and i noticed that one of my rear tires had a plug in it rite at the crown of the threads and the sidewall
im not afraid to drive it i have drove worse, but i wanna get some new tires for it.
my tire size is 30x9.5x15 and what seams to have very little in tire selection
the ones are in my price range that i have my eyes on are
firestone destination m/t
and the
bfgoodrich mud-terrain t/a km2

it will be driven on the road almost everyday
since i got it my wife wants to drive it all the time

as said in my intro post i will be upgrading it lil by lil
im looking into making it a reliable trail/lite crawler
so i want to make sure she has some good shoe's on her
so what u folks think
thx farmer

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My personal experience, stay away from Firestone.

Never owned BFgoodrich but have heard very little negativity about them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have Destinations on my 95 but isn't used for ANY trails, but as far as daily driving I love em'

Everyone has there own preference...that being said do what ya can afford and what ya feel is gonna benefit ya the most.

Best of luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
192 Posts
/\ sorry about the b, idk what happened /\

but definitely the bf km2

i have them on my jeep and drive on road and interstate every single day a good ways, there very light especially when you have aluminum rims, i have 35x12.50s and the wear is great on them, speaking of, my 35s are a lot heavier then your 30 or 31's would be so they would be even lighter, and also all of my jeep buddys always say and i have seen them say when they go around corners or exit/on ramps when its raining there jeep gets away from them but the km2s dont at all, they didnt belive me so they got me to go around a sharp exit ramp at around 50 and it kept on getting it around the corner:punk: oh and the mud, amazing, cleans there self great and grips great on rocks

definitely the km2s i love them

Attachments

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
BFG All-Terrains are the best for light-trails and on-road performance, nothing comes close. The Mud-Terrains are for "more than light trails" and don't perform as well on the road in rain / snow.

I have owned both and I have experienced them first hand. My BFG A/T's had 75,000 miles on them before I retired them. They never let me down off-road either. But my Mud-Terrains are just as good too I like them just as much :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Im am rockin' 33 12.5 km2, i would say get the mudders bro, they wear really good on the road,(not much more than a/t)plus itll transform your jeep to a way beefier look, trust me youll have NO regrets. Oh yea they have GREAT sidewalls as well

·
Registered
135 Posts
tigerblood said:
x2 for the bfg at's. they are great in snow/rain and capable in mud.
In my experience with mud in the a/ts they turn into slicks almost instantly. You need self cleanin lugz= MT

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
In my experience with mud in the a/ts they turn into slicks almost instantly. You need self cleanin lugz= MT
But if you get MT's they need to be siped so you can shed water away quickly when it rains or snows. He said earlier that it will be driven on the road most of the time, (aka, which in Jeep language that means 99% of the time lol), unless you're going for looks, the MT's definitely do look better I agree.

You have plenty of options in the tire department, so do a lot of research before you shell out all that money. Compare prices, looks, wear, dependability, road-noise, warranty, how it will effect you Jeep mechanically, and reviews. Post pix when you buy we always like seeing new shoes :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have ran 33" bfg all terrains and they seem capable as far as an all terrain can be they were even decent in the mud. I also have a set of 31" bfg all terrains on a Cherokee and am pretty happy with their all around performance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
BFG All-Terrains are the best for light-trails and on-road performance, nothing comes close. The Mud-Terrains are for "more than light trails" and don't perform as well on the road in rain / snow.

I have owned both and I have experienced them first hand. My BFG A/T's had 75,000 miles on them before I retired them. They never let me down off-road either. But my Mud-Terrains are just as good too I like them just as much :)
idk if you read but my km2s are great in rain, only had it once in snow and they did great in it to

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
TRM627 said:
idk if you read but my km2s are great in rain, only had it once in snow and they did great in it to
My KM2's suck in the rain and snow compared to my AT's that I used to have lol. Did you own BFG AT's to make that comparison, you never mentioned? I noticed a drop in performance on-road immediately when it started coming down hard, that's just my experience though between the two that's all, otherwise they're worth the money entirely.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like the look for the BFG's. I run 33's and they perform on the trails and in the mud just as I ask them to. Responsive on the road and wear well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My KM2's suck in the rain and snow compared to my AT's that I used to have lol. Did you own BFG AT's to make that comparison, you never mentioned? I noticed a drop in performance on-road immediately when it started coming down hard, that's just my experience though between the two that's all, otherwise they're worth the money entirely.
i have km2 M/T

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love my 33" goodyear duratracs. Reasonably priced, quiet on the road, mean on the trail. Nothing extreme, perfect for day to day and wheeling

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have BFG AT's on my Jeep now and love them. They do great in the mud, rain, etc. Haven't had snow yet, so not sure how they will do there... but, they are heads & shoulders better than the MTs that I took off... However... on my TRUCK, I threw out the ATs and went back to the MTs because of handling... the MTs were WAY better in the snow & rain than the ATs were.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had BFG AT's on my truck for a while and HATED them!! Might be different on a jeep, but did not like them at all. That being said I also had BFG MT's on my truck as well and loved them! Million times better then the AT's. Also that was a truck not a jeep.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Seems like anyone who has had the bfg at's on a truck hated them. I dont think they take kindly to all that extra weight. They are great on a lightweight jeep tho.

·
Registered
64 Posts
firestone destination m/t
You just answered your own question. I had 60k on my last set. Yes, I typed that right. 60k. On mud terrain tires. And drove on the road. A lot.

They act extremely responsive on the road -- like an A/T -- and are very quiet, but they dig better than every other mud tire I've tried yet.

My personal experience, stay away from Firestone.
The whole Firestone is awfulzzz story stems from a bit of absolutely horrible engineering on Ford's part. Is that such a surprise?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts