Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put some 31x10.5 on 15" rims on my stock 94 yj and the tire is rubbing on the leaf springs when i take sharp turns. what would be the easiest way to fix this problem? i'm also thinking of making some bigger shackles any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
no real easy good way to fix that, the wheels are the worng offset. get the right wheels is the best thing. i hate spacers, don't turn all the way.

shackles are a common first small lift on yj, just keep your originals cuz you'll wanna put them back on once you go with an actual lift kit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
what is the reason for puting the stock shackles back on with the lift? Did I make a mistake puting a shackle lift on with my 4 inch

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
what is the reason for puting the stock shackles back on with the lift? Did I make a mistake puting a shackle lift on with my 4 inch
longer shackles aren't really a good thing, they're fine for a small lift, and others do use them with lift kits but i don't. they change the geometry, and put more stress on the front half of the spring. i always keep the stocks around, i seem to put a lot of stock shackles inplace of longer ones when doing lifts.

·
Administrator
12,512 Posts
what about putting a couple washers between the hub and the rim
Save up for some new rims... with proper back spacing I would guess you need a 15x8 with 3.75 or there abouts to solve your issue.

·
Administrator
12,512 Posts
Not a big fan of those, but its your jeep. How much are they compared to saving up for some steel rims at 50 bucks each?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just put the FREE backspacers on tomorrow and use em.... but drive slow! Then do like 4jeepn says and get wheels with about 3.5" backspacing and all your problems will be magically solved... that is unless you wreck with those spacers on first----

·
Registered
798 Posts
Spacers that go between the wheel & hub can loosen up the lug nuts, so check the lug torque every day for a while, then twice a week once your sure they will stay tight that long.

Putting a washer on each stud can't be a good thing, but I know you are talking about a single aluminum ring with 5 holes for the studs & one hole for the center.

They do make spacers with 5 holes to put over your studs, & 5 studs to mount your wheel on.

You still have to check the torque like once a week, but you have to pull the wheel to get at the inner set of lug nuts. Powertrax, & Rugged Ridge make this type, about $100.00 a set of 4.

Fact is, the stock steel jeep wheels have a deep backspacing. aftermarket wheels are available with much less backspacing. This alone would cure your problem, & not too expensive if you go with steelies like Cragar soft eights.

·
Registered
291 Posts
no real easy good way to fix that, the wheels are the worng offset. get the right wheels is the best thing. i hate spacers, don't turn all the way.

shackles are a common first small lift on yj, just keep your originals cuz you'll wanna put them back on once you go with an actual lift kit.
i can highly disagree. you may want to stay with the stock length, but i would recommend using a boomerang shackle if you are going to stay with the forward shackle positioning. it helps to promote the directional movement of the shackles. the stock shackles are fairly weak.

if you go with a shackle reversal i would defiantly use a custom shackle. in the shackle reversal everything depends on where you put your shackle hanger. then you have to determine how far the spring will move and how long the shackle needs to be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a buddy at work has some rims he'll sell me for $100.. so problem solved. as far as the lift goes i'm going to get a rough country 4" kit hopefully soon because i have a saggy leaf spring anyway :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts