Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just blew a tire and a small garage gave me the same size tire but the tread difference is 3. So my other tires have a tread of 3, 3 and 4 while this tire is 7. Will this hurt the differential? What would I have to worry about?

Second question is since this is the first time I will be buying tires for this Jeep- I will need all new tires soon enough. I am debating between getting the Goodyear Wrangler SRA again or going with theGoodyear Wrangler DuraTrac - 255/75R17. Any thoughts on which is better?

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I prefer everything to be even but the small difference will not cause any issues.

It depends on your jeep's purpose and the climate you live in. If you have winter weather, or go off road at all, the Duratrac is much better. If you are on road 100% of the time, and don't drive in winter conditions, the SRA is better and quieter.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've never been a fan of the Goodyear tires, and I've run both the GS-A, and SR-A versions (on pick ups). I hated them in any weather except warm, dry, and sunny. I wasn't going off-road back then, so that was all paved road experience. I'm sure I'd absolutely loathe them off the pavement.

Based on personal experience with my TJ as my DD, for light wheeling it's hard to beat the General Grabber AT2. The tread blocks are similar to the BFG KO2 I currently run, but with a better price point, and 2 ply sidewalls (Vs. 3 ply on the KO2). My Grabber AT2s have 67K mileage, and still have legal tread depth (barely); I'd say I got my money's worth. The AT2s have low noise, and very good on-road manners in most weather (deep, loose snow not so much). Off-road in deep mud and/or clay they would pack up, and become slicks, but otherwise I was impressed with them.

The KO2s are larger, and new with <2k mileage, so no comment yet about wear, et c.
I generally agree with what CB posted (above), but I don't know how you're driving, or if you even go off-road. Based on where you live, you probably do see winter, so I'd say NAY to SR-As. YMMV, and invariably will...

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
After what I saw 2 weekends ago, I would be hard pressed to put Goodyear's on a Jeep... 3 flats in 5 tires over about 30 miles of back country trails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts