Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I went to my local tire store to order new tires so I can get rid of the tiny tires that came on the steelies. I was going to get 265x75xR16 but the guy said that I shouldn't go with those because it will put extra wear on my bearings. I can't see that happening when all other wranglers except the ones with steelies are running around 32in tires. Has anyone heard anything related to this and can shed light on my situation? I am going to call my jeep dealer tomorrow to find out their opinion too

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Tire size shouldn't matter as long as you are using the same wheels which means the back spacing hasn't changed. :confused:

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
^ Umm... right...

Anyway, your tire guy's a moron. Find a new shop. Really.

It's not your wheel bearings that'll wear out. Ball joints, maybe, and you'll increase wear and tear on a lot of things, but the added torque on the wheel bearings (well, unit bearings in a JK) will NOT cause noticable issues. You'll still get quite a LOT of use out of them, especially with such small tires. I've had 100K+ on OEM wheel bearings with 33's and sold the car with the originals still in there.

So, in short, I have no idea what John was going for there, but maybe the increased wheel torque issue? Either way- ditch your tire shop- they have no reason for existing if they don't understand the phsyics behind tires at a TIRE SHOP! :) Mark W.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
jkjeeper06 said:
Hey guys I went to my local tire store to order new tires so I can get rid of the tiny tires that came on the steelies. I was going to get 265x75xR16 but the guy said that I shouldn't go with those because it will put extra wear on my bearings. I can't see that happening when all other wranglers except the ones with steelies are running around 32in tires. Has anyone heard anything related to this and can shed light on my situation? I am going to call my jeep dealer tomorrow to find out their opinion too
That tire guy is a dumbass.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I worked in a tire shop years ago, the salesman would get a few hours of training, and then they were expected to start selling. They didn't know anything about the tires.

It's kind of like when I went to the jeep dealership, and the guy told me if I was looking at a Wrangler, I probably knew more about them than he did, since it always seems that way with Wrangler shoppers.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's not the tire size, it's the backspacing of the wheel. Jeep wheel have a 6" backspacing. So the less the backspacing the more stress on bearings. A 4" backspacing wheel will put more stress on bearings than a wheel with 5" backspacing. But like someone said, your bearings should last over 100K miles anyways, so don't let it stop you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts