Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace my tires on my 97tj and was wondering what i should go with. My offroading is very limited so im not after any real aggressive mud tire or anything like that and i am looking to get a good ride with some all terrains. I like the look of the a/t's or m/t's and want to go with that style of tire because i know that i wont be able to resist at least a little bit of offroad mud fun here and there. I want to stay with my current size which is 35x14.50R15 but i know that with most a/t's i will have to run 35x12.50 or 13.50 width which is ok with me.
i have looked at quite a few brands of tires and would like to know if anyone has used the toyo a/t or m/t and also im looking at the dick cepek's and the mickey thompson's as well.
my main goal is a good smooth ride with an a/t or m/t and a tire that can be balanced well, and stay balanced. any info is much appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've always been a fan of the BFG All Terrain. Great ride, great wear, great offroad. I've heard good things about the Dick Cepek and the Toyo's as well. They are just a little too pricey for me.

I've heard mixed reviews on the Mickey Thompson's. I can't speak from personal experience but a buddy ran them and didn't like how they handled in the rain.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i had mickey thompson atz 33x15.50x15 they were pretty good mud,rocks.trail, rain they were ok but hit a water puddle and hold on, toyo i heard are real good, i traded mt m/t's for 35x12.50x15 bfg mud terrains there great prob wont change tire types for a while!

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
It sure seems like most of us are really happy with the BFG MT's. They do hydroplane and they aren't really good on snowy roads, but they definately get the job done.

·
Drives by Braille
13,637 Posts
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO - FTW!

Seriously, if you don't off-road much but want the tires that can perform when you decide to hit a trail. These are the ones. The life of these tires have easily seen 80k when properly rotated and maintained. Out here they work great on the rocks and sand/mud. THere really isn't a better tire for a daily driven weekend warrior.

Best places for BFG's is DiscountTire... You might be able to find some deals at 4WD.com and 4WheelParts.com

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I searched for months on line and off, and in the end, Discount got my business. I could have saved 25 or 30 $ going online and shipping, and then hauling them to a shop, etc. Oh yeah, I love my BFG M/T's. Have them on both vehicles. Probably be better with A/T's, but I love it when my Jeep sings to me!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The best prices I've found with the best warranties are CostCo, then Sam's Club. But neither of them in this area will install anything but stock (auto manufacturer recommended) sizes.

Got tires at American Tire Depot, and the guy came down on price when we quoted him CostCo's price.

·
Registered
925 Posts
well i was looking at the A/Ts, although the M/Ts look SWEET... i just will be using the jeep as a daily driver back and forth to school mostly, so i think for me A/Ts are the way to go...

·
Registered
856 Posts
another vote for the BFG A/T's. use my heep as a daily driver, but i've also taken her off road and they have done me right so far. someone earlier said they weren't that great in the snow but i had no problems getting around.

·
Registered
24 Posts
33"x15.50'.....35"x15.50"..........do I run the smallest tires ever? Man it has just become clear to me exactly how badly I need more lift.........35's would be sweet. Doubt I could go that wide on my 15x10 rims, but I could settle for 35x12.50's.

My buddy has BFG M/T 33x12.50 and he says they work great. Wouldn't know about the snow, I haven't seen it in years.

·
Registered
141 Posts
another vote for the BFG A/T's. use my heep as a daily driver, but i've also taken her off road and they have done me right so far. someone earlier said they weren't that great in the snow but i had no problems getting around.
If you look up the thread, it was the MTs that they said they didn't like in the snow. i agree, i like the A/Ts in the snow

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.