Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2.5 four banger. and i have done a 3 inch body lift. and i am putting 31 hancook all terrains on it. but when i put it up to a 33 inch bridge stone tire... its the same diaamter. and i dont wanna go too big because of the engine size, as yall know can cause some problems. my question is..
* you think this "31" would be good for my set up. *i normally do trail rides. i dont plow mine through mud and water.
* and its my every day driver.

·
Registered
47 Posts
when I bought my jeep(4 banger) it had 33" on it and there was no sense using 5th gear at all..there was a DEFINITE lack of power. Off road, though, in low range, it did just fine.

I recently bought a set of 32" and things are a lot better. It'll pull hills in 4th gear, I can actually use 5th gear on the highway, etc, etc..I would think 31" would be even better as far as on-road driveability, and if you're only doing trail rides they'll prolly be fine for that as well...although I'll defer to more experienced wheelers for that part. lol I haven't had any issues at all with my 32" on trail rides.

for whatever that's worth :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, hopefully more people will post. but like i said these tires are like the same size as a 33' bridgestone mud tire... its odd.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you're going with Hancook Dynapros you're going to be very happy with them. Also, in my experience with 4cyl YJs you are safe to run anything 33" and below without regearing. Although you may experience a small loss of power it is usually worth it when you see how much better it performs in the dirt.

To clear up the part about the 31" tire and the 33" tire... Although the DIAMETER of the tire is 2" more, the RADIUS is only 1" more (not much of a difference at all.) Because of this, your loss of power and tire clearance would be almost unnoticeable if you were to run 31s and then switch to 33s (firsthand experience in my 95 4cyl.) So in my opinion that's be a great setup for your use!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Anthony said:
i have a 2.5 four banger. and i have done a 3 inch body lift. and i am putting 31 hancook all terrains on it. but when i put it up to a 33 inch bridge stone tire... its the same diaamter. and i dont wanna go too big because of the engine size, as yall know can cause some problems. my question is..
* you think this "31" would be good for my set up. *i normally do trail rides. i dont plow mine through mud and water.
* and its my every day driver.
If you have some spare cash laying around (not alot of do...) you could consider gearing it down to handle larger amounts of torque. Might make it a tad more inefficient and it's not for everyone - but it gives mrs torque

·
Registered
101 Posts
And tires are usually rated at their uninstalled inflated height, but once you put them on the vehicle they will crush some and if you measure it it will be less (my 33s measure a true 31 at 27psi installed)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.