Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 wrangler sport and I want to put 35" tires on it.It has a 3" lift. Do I need to change gears for non-off road driving?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have a 2011 wrangler sport and I want to put 35" tires on it.It has a 3" lift. Do I need to change gears for non-off road driving?
Welcome!!

There are a million & 1 threads about this. Searching is faster than waiting on folks to reply, anywho....

Some people will tell you that you'll be fine. I don't know whether you have 3.21's or 3.73's, an automatic transmission or standard, but I will tell you to regear asap.

what's your set-up? Gearing in expensive, want to get it right the first time for sure.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have an 08 with 35's and 321's and a six speed. I've learned to shift and pay attention to the terrain and I do fine. I would like to regear but it is cost prohibitive right now.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
If you have 3.21 gears, 35's will kill your road power, especially in the case of passing on the freeway, climbing even modest hills, and headwinds. Yup. Headwinds.

If you've got 3.73 gears you're a little better off, but you still won't be able to use your top gear for passing or going up hills.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Your 2011 has 3:73s most likely if its automatic. You also have an Overdrive off button for towing etc. Now you can use it for 35s and you'll be fine for putting around and hunting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts