Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 31x10.5x15 on my 95 yj. If i go to 18 inch rim keeping the same size tire will i encounter any new issues? Thanks for any help i can get.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Do you mean keep the same tires you have now? Or get the same size tires to fit the new rims?

I don't believe a R15 will fit an 18" rim, and I don't believe they make 31"x10.5xR18 in any normal tire type, maybe a street/road tire will come in that size but I don't know about any off-road or all-terrain tire.

Usually the rim size of a truck tire is half of the total diameter of the tire, to keep a larger sidewall length. That's why 30's are common and made to fit 15" rims. They usually don't deviate too far from that formula. An 18" rim with a 30" tire would only mean 6" of sidewall, that's not a whole lot of rubber. I'm not trying to stir anything up, just curious but what are your reasons for such a large rim size?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Defcon 1 said:
Do you mean keep the same tires you have now? Or get the same size tires to fit the new rims?

I don't believe a R15 will fit an 18" rim, and I don't believe they make 31"x10.5xR18 in any normal tire type, maybe a street/road tire will come in that size but I don't know about any off-road or all-terrain tire.

Usually the rim size of a truck tire is half of the total diameter of the tire, to keep a larger sidewall length. That's why 30's are common and made to fit 15" rims. They usually don't deviate too far from that formula. An 18" rim with a 30" tire would only mean 6" of sidewall, that's not a whole lot of rubber. I'm not trying to stir anything up, just curious but what are your reasons for such a large rim size?
I had the same line of thoughts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont want to...but someone was trying to sell me on 18 inch rims...so i asked if they would still work with my current set up. They said it would..but i wasnt so sure. I want to stay with 15 inch rims and think i will..

·
Registered
12 Posts
There really isn't any good reason to go to 18 inch rims for a 31 inch tire. Sounds like ud just be spending more money needlessly. If u were going to a 35 or larger tire I could see the argument, but if u are going to stay with 31s... I don't see it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts