Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

WHAT TYPE WOULD U RECOMMEND?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick vote to gather ppls thoughts on 4 different types of tires i am considering buying. Feedback is appreciated as well! The size is 35x12.5r17

MODERATE WHEELING/MUD/SOME ROCKS/TRAILS WILL BE THE GENERAL TYPE OF WHEELING

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have mt/r's and love em

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm happy with my MTRs

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
MT/R's seem very popular down in the US where you guys are running alot of rocky terrain... Here in Alberta I've never seen anyone running them, everyone is running Duratracs and toyo mt's. From alot of reviews the mtr's do not clean out thick sticky mud very well and are really terrible on the highway which I guess would explain why no one here runs them. It all depends iwhat you're most concerned with i guess

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have Duratracs on mine. They're great in the snow and on most trails. They're outstanding for a daily driver.

They are less than stellar in mud. They load up and go slick. I've gotten stuck where people who have real mud tires just drive right through. And I have lockers front and rear.

Since you say you're going to be driving in the mud I suggest a tire that does well in mud. I know the MT/R is better in the mud (by how much I don't know) but not quite as good for a daily driver. I don't know enough about the other two to give a meaningful review of them.

Depending on how much daily driving you plan on doing, it may be worth looking at other mud tires. If I don't end up moving to somewhere with different/better wheeling, I plan on buying a dedicated set of mud capable tires that I can swap on when I hit the trails.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Describe your mud.
Clay mud? Then only the STT & Toyo MT on your list will do.

I ran the STTs on a couple of vehicles and love them. I had the MTRs and loved them unless I was in mud.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I plan on getting the coopers

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
My old STTs

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Street tire. Not in the same category as the other 3.
YES. Good lord, to think anyone would take a Duratrac over an STT for wheeling on rocks or real mud is insane.

Which is not to say a Duratrac is not a fantastic compromise, but come on. The STT clearly has a much stronger carcass and better tread for throwing mud.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I just wish the STT came in my preferred size, 255/80-17, and I'd be wearing them again. With 3.73 gears I don't want to go to 285s...

But, luckily, the ST-Maxx comes in my size.
Another contender for the OP?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mechano and I wheel together, and we both avoid mud as much as possible. The clean up sucks. So while some mud is unavoidable, it's not a huge deal. I run BFG AT/KO's and while a more aggressive tread would be nice sometimes, we do to life being what it is spend 90% of the time with our Jeeps as DD's. I'm pretty sure the Duatrac would fill the needs quite nicely. They just don't look as 'cool' or 'aggressive' as the MT options.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Mechano and I wheel together, and we both avoid mud as much as possible. The clean up sucks. So while some mud is unavoidable, it's not a huge deal. I run BFG AT/KO's and while a more aggressive tread would be nice sometimes, we do to life being what it is spend 90% of the time with our Jeeps as DD's. I'm pretty sure the Duatrac would fill the needs quite nicely. They just don't look as 'cool' or 'aggressive' as the MT options.
How do you like your KO's?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the duratrac is gonna suite me needs perfect after all the friggin tire research I have done haha!
I live is canada, snow and ice is a fact of life, like cozmik said, been there, done the mud thing, fun as hell but clean up sucks ass so majority of real wheeling takes place in rocky escarpment country further up north.
Thanks for all the votes everyone.

Oh, and the cooper STT is an awesome tire and aggressive looking, and tough but in the winter they totally suck!

·
Registered
429 Posts
How do you like your KO's?
The KO's are great. It's my 3rd set, first on a Jeep. Previous ones were on Explorers. Quiet on road, handle snow and ice without issue, wear like champs and perform great offroad...unless you're in thick, deep mud. Then they don't clear so well. But like I mentioned, I tend to avoid that stuff. The mud encountered on the trails I frequent is more of the soupy sandy stuff and that's not been an issue.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I think the duratrac is gonna suite me needs perfect after all the friggin tire research I have done haha!
I live is canada, snow and ice is a fact of life, like cozmik said, been there, done the mud thing, fun as hell but clean up sucks ass so majority of real wheeling takes place in rocky escarpment country further up north.
Thanks for all the votes everyone.

Oh, and the cooper STT is an awesome tire and aggressive looking, and tough but in the winter they totally suck!
Your first three tire choices all suck on ice and packed snow compared to the Duratrac, AT KO, etc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts