Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i slung a rod and am in need of a new engine. i came across titan engines on google when looking at stroker motors. they offer a really good price and a 3 year 36,000 mile warrenty. has anyone ever ran one of their engines?

·
Registered
347 Posts
so i slung a rod and am in need of a new engine. i came across titan engines on google when looking at stroker motors. they offer a really good price and a 3 year 36,000 mile warrenty. has anyone ever ran one of their engines?
I can not say I have, but there are three companies available.(Only listing the two I have experience with.) I know more people with Golen than Titan, but both seem to be reputable companies to work with. Actually I do not know any one with a Titan in their Jeep. Golen provides a flat three year warranty with no mileage restrictions that I know about.

Jeep 4.6 Stroker | Golen High Performance Engines
Titan Engines.com | Viewing: Jeep Stroker - Best place for Automotive Parts, Jeep Strokers, Engine Kits and High Quality Service!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ive read some mixed things about them on other forums when I went pondering about my Jeeps future. Some people loved theirs, others ran into problems that could or could not be their own fault from improper engine break in. Ide also look into Golen's stroker, heard nothing but good about them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you go to jeepstrokers.com they are all about well...... strokers! I definately see one in my future also. Even mention titan over there and there will be an avalanche of warnings and bad reviews. Its hard to resist though since they have a 4.9 available for a comparatively good deal. I'm thinking a possible workaround if your worried about the quality is get the 4.9, strip it down and check all clearances and torque everything to specs with new gaskets. That way you could be confident that any failures would be related to the parts or your lack of attention to detail.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to their site but couldn't find a place to search

·
Registered
24 Posts
you have to register first unfortunately. But there is always a workaround. Just go to google and you can search jeepstrokers just like if you were on their site. type in whatever you want to search and at the end just add jeepstrokers.com. For instance if I wanted to search for topics on titan motors I would go to googles search bar and type in Titan jeepstrokers.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah I Got a Titan 4.7 stroker in my TJ...Here is my experience in a nutshell. Off the bat before it was even installed there were bent parts on the engine that needed to be shipped up and replaced. Can't say if that was Titan's fault or the shipping company. After the install I broke it in exactly to the specifications. it started eating a quart of oil every 100-150 miles! No leaks and no smoke out the exhaust. They kept telling me to try fixing this or that. The warranty company (Which is another separate company, not Titan) told me it was a pre existing condition so they weren't going to do jack squat. Told Titan I wanted a new engine, a rental car (since my TJ is my DD), and reimbursed for the well over $500 mechanics bill I ran up and well over $500 worth of oil I kept pouring into the BRAND NEW ENGINE. The lady actually laughed at me when I told her I wanted a rental until mine was fixed. They still have not gotten back to me about the $$$ I spent on a brand new engine. They would not give me a new engine. Instead they had my mechanic pull the engine, ship it from PA to FL, rebuild it, ship it back and installed again. So literally after almost 2 years after the purchase date I'm at 700 miles on the rebuilt engine (When I paid for a new working one not a rebuilt one) So far the rebuild seems to be running well. I'm still well over $1500 in costs on top of the price of the engine. Their customer service sucks major ***. In that time I received 2 phone calls from them (after leaving countless messages asking them to call me back and I have the phone records to prove it). Chuck at titan was the only person who was remotely helpful with anything. Once I hit 1000 miles I'm going to call the owner of the company and get down to business. I tried contacting a lawyer but he said it wasn't worth suing because the engine wasn't expensive enough and my lawyer fees would nullify pretty much anything I won. I could probably still take them to small claims court(if anyone knows anything that could help me legally I would really appreciate any info). What I do know is that you should spend the extra $$ and get a Golen stroker. I'm still steaming mad about this as I type this. I want to drive my jeep down there rip my engine out and stick it up the owners *** (figuratively speaking of course) They might make good engines but the way they handle their business is worse than pathetic. They wont even back up their own product and made me pay out of my own pocket to fix a brand new engine that, you would think, should have run perfectly (or with very few/minor flaws) in the first place or at least backed up and immediately replaced the lemon they sent me like every other company I have dealt with has when their product fails. In the past 2 years my mechanic (who is amazing and let me borrow his personal YJ wrangler while mine was sitting for 8+ months waiting for Titan to fix my stroker) has had my jeep more than I have. So yeah.... Be careful if you get an engine from Titan. I plan on posting a specific thread on every jeep forum once I see how they handle all this after I hit 1000 miles (should be a few weeks) . Im a nice guy really. I think I have been more than patient with them. This is ridiculous though.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Yeah I Got a Titan 4.7 stroker in my TJ...Here is my experience in a nutshell. Off the bat before it was even installed there were bent parts on the engine that needed to be shipped up and replaced. Can't say if that was Titan's fault or the shipping company. After the install I broke it in exactly to the specifications. it started eating a quart of oil every 100-150 miles! No leaks and no smoke out the exhaust. They kept telling me to try fixing this or that. The warranty company (Which is another separate company, not Titan) told me it was a pre existing condition so they weren't going to do jack squat. Told Titan I wanted a new engine, a rental car (since my TJ is my DD), and reimbursed for the well over $500 mechanics bill I ran up and well over $500 worth of oil I kept pouring into the BRAND NEW ENGINE. The lady actually laughed at me when I told her I wanted a rental until mine was fixed. They still have not gotten back to me about the $$$ I spent on a brand new engine. They would not give me a new engine. Instead they had my mechanic pull the engine, ship it from PA to FL, rebuild it, ship it back and installed again. So literally after almost 2 years after the purchase date I'm at 700 miles on the rebuilt engine (When I paid for a new working one not a rebuilt one) So far the rebuild seems to be running well. I'm still well over $1500 in costs on top of the price of the engine. Their customer service sucks major ***. In that time I received 2 phone calls from them (after leaving countless messages asking them to call me back and I have the phone records to prove it). Chuck at titan was the only person who was remotely helpful with anything. Once I hit 1000 miles I'm going to call the owner of the company and get down to business. I tried contacting a lawyer but he said it wasn't worth suing because the engine wasn't expensive enough and my lawyer fees would nullify pretty much anything I won. I could probably still take them to small claims court(if anyone knows anything that could help me legally I would really appreciate any info). What I do know is that you should spend the extra $$ and get a Golen stroker. I'm still steaming mad about this as I type this. I want to drive my jeep down there rip my engine out and stick it up the owners *** (figuratively speaking of course) They might make good engines but the way they handle their business is worse than pathetic. They wont even back up their own product and made me pay out of my own pocket to fix a brand new engine that, you would think, should have run perfectly (or with very few/minor flaws) in the first place or at least backed up and immediately replaced the lemon they sent me like every other company I have dealt with has when their product fails. In the past 2 years my mechanic (who is amazing and let me borrow his personal YJ wrangler while mine was sitting for 8+ months waiting for Titan to fix my stroker) has had my jeep more than I have. So yeah.... Be careful if you get an engine from Titan. I plan on posting a specific thread on every jeep forum once I see how they handle all this after I hit 1000 miles (should be a few weeks) . Im a nice guy really. I think I have been more than patient with them. This is ridiculous though.
Wow! thanks for sharing! I will go Golan for sure if I go the Stroker route.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Just remember, 90% of reviews are from people who absolutely love or absolutely hate the product. Two sides to every story and that's been demonstrated by a few angry posts here before.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was reading up on the Golan stroker, but became skeptical when I read you'd have to run zinc suppliments with the engine oil for the life of the engine. While I ran dino oil in my '74 CJ5, I've run Redline in my '91 YJ, my '00 TJ, and now I'm running Mobile 1 Synthetic in my '01 TJ. I'm not familiar with the zinc additives Golan is talking about, an not crazy about having to run said suppliments on top of synthetic motor oils. What's the general consensus, are guys running the Golan strokers running anything but straight motor oil, and if you're using additives, what are you using?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was reading up on the Golan stroker, but became skeptical when I read you'd have to run zinc suppliments with the engine oil for the life of the engine. While I ran dino oil in my '74 CJ5, I've run Redline in my '91 YJ, my '00 TJ, and now I'm running Mobile 1 Synthetic in my '01 TJ. I'm not familiar with the zinc additives Golan is talking about, an not crazy about having to run said suppliments on top of synthetic motor oils. What's the general consensus, are guys running the Golan strokers running anything but straight motor oil, and if you're using additives, what are you using?
No additives needed, but rather the proper oil.

Motor oil these days have around 600 to 800 PPM of ZDDP content. However, 4.0L engines were designed originally with oils containing 1,000 to 1,400 PPM of ZDDP content. Mobil 1 High Mileage version have a minimum of 1,000 PPM ZDDP content. Personally I use Valvoline VV205 VR1 which has 1,200 to 1,400 PPM of ZDDP content. Both the Mobil 1 and Valvoline are regular oil.

Stay away from the oils with ZDDP over 1,400. They are unnecessary for the 4.0L and are generally used only in racing applications. Some will claim they are only needed during engine break in, but think back for a moment to when these engines were built. The factory never shipped the engines with any special oil for the engine break in process. The reality is that if there is an issue with the engine build using a specific as better oil will only delay the eventual breakage.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Alexia is correct about the oil and ZDDP levels. Oil companies have slowly been reducing the amount of ZDDP in thier oils because the Zinc eats up catalytic converters. Auto manufacturers have been designing their newer engines to require less Zinc to run efficently. I add a one ounce bottle of ZDDP at oil change to bring levels up to about 12,000 PPM - no big deal. I have over 30,000 miles on a Golen 4.6 stoker in my YJ that is also supercharged. As far as Golen's product and customer support A+. They guaranteed my engine even with the blower. I have not had a moment's trouble except a broken rockerarm in the first 1,500 miles. Obviously just a defective part, but Chad Golen was quick to take care of it working with my local mechanic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts