Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommended towbar drop for a 4.5 lift on a TJ, I'm having the work done but would like to get the bar ahead of hand to start fitment process

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Level between tow vehicle is best. Most tow bars note the max exceptable diff between the two. I believe most are max like 5".

·
Registered
997 Posts
hitch heights will vary on the rig doing the towing and where you attach your tow bar on the Jeep will vary as well.... multiple variables involved here.

I figured out where and how I was going to hook the tow bar onto my Jeep then with the tow bar level figured out how much of rise was needed for the hitch on the rv/truck doing the towing.

_

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
What is the recommended towbar drop for a 4.5 lift on a TJ, I'm having the work done but would like to get the bar ahead of hand to start fitment process
Probably help to clarify your post. Are you talking about a hitch drop on the back or dropping a tow bar base plate/attachment on the front. If on the front, the tow bar is normally fixed to the base plate or bumper and the drop/raise is done at the tow vehicle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably help to clarify your post. Are you talking about a hitch drop on the back or dropping a tow bar base plate/attachment on the front. If on the front, the tow bar is normally fixed to the base plate or bumper and the drop/raise is done at the tow vehicle.
Good point, let me clarify.

I live in Ireland and have to order the part Stateside. That being the case, the TJ will be sitting on 32's and the kit is the RE 4.5. I know the standard 2inch drop or 3/4 rise standard drawbars will not work as the angle will be incorrect and I'll be dragging the trailer. I know they don't make 3 inch drop drawbars but they make 4 and 5 so I figure one of those would probably work best. The hitch I'm ordering is the Curt or Drawtite as they cinch right up to the bumper. That on a stock leaves 15 from ball to ground if I recall.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts

I live in Ireland and have to order the part Stateside. That being the case, the TJ will be sitting on 32's and the kit is the RE 4.5. I know the standard 2inch drop or 3/4 rise standard drawbars will not work as the angle will be incorrect and I'll be dragging the trailer. I know they don't make 3 inch drop drawbars but they make 4 and 5 so I figure one of those would probably work best. The hitch I'm ordering is the Curt or Drawtite as they cinch right up to the bumper. That on a stock leaves 15 from ball to ground if I recall.
A lot depends on the trailer you're towing. Trailers with different size wheels/tires will require a different drop to make them sit level. Personally, I have several different drops I use... a 4" drop for my boat trailer, and an 8" drop for my little utility trailer. I suggest you measure the ball hitch on your trailer (with the trailer sitting level) and determine the amount of drop you need from that.

My Jeep has a 4" suspension lift, is on 33's and the center of the receiver (which is centered in the back bumper-so basically centered on the Jeep frame) is 24" off the ground.

·
Registered
997 Posts

Have you thought about buying an adjustable hitch.... then you won't have to worry about guessing exactly correct and being stuck with whatever size you order.
Also if you change tires size or lift later on the hitch can adjust with the Jeep.

_

1 - 7 of 7 Posts