Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was kicking around the idea of using a TJ air intake tube on my YJ for a cheap DIY cold air intake. And really just to add some altitude to where the jeep breaths from. I am referring to the TJ's long intake tube that crosses over to the other side of the engine bay, just using the tub and throwing a K&N cone filter on the end. Almost like the old Rock-IT auto parts cheap intake. Anyone done this?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You will hear all kinds of ideas, here is mine. The YJ intake under the driver side headlight is a stupid place for the intake "if" you do water crossings. The Rock-it type intake is not cold air, but does get your intake up in the motor where water isn't an issue unless you sink it. Many with the TJ keep the filter box but reroute the intake higher.
K&N are terrible for jeeps. I used them on my ATV's when I raced, but knew I was sacrificing engine life for better air intake. Amsoil makes a dry cone filter and pre-filter that allows more air without sacrificing good filtering, K&N just let too much dirt and dust in.
To sum up my thoughts, you are better off keeping the stock box and reroute the intake higher, next would be a Rock-it type intake but with a Amzoil dry filter. I would never use K&N on a vehicle you plan on putting a lot of miles on, I still use them on my quads, but I will never put the miles on them that I put on my Jeep.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Turbo City - aka Rock-it is not longer in business, still might be a few hiding around out there to find

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will hear all kinds of ideas, here is mine. The YJ intake under the driver side headlight is a stupid place for the intake "if" you do water crossings. The Rock-it type intake is not cold air, but does get your intake up in the motor where water isn't an issue unless you sink it. Many with the TJ keep the filter box but reroute the intake higher.
K&N are terrible for jeeps. I used them on my ATV's when I raced, but knew I was sacrificing engine life for better air intake. Amsoil makes a dry cone filter and pre-filter that allows more air without sacrificing good filtering, K&N just let too much dirt and dust in.
To sum up my thoughts, you are better off keeping the stock box and reroute the intake higher, next would be a Rock-it type intake but with a Amzoil dry filter. I would never use K&N on a vehicle you plan on putting a lot of miles on, I still use them on my quads, but I will never put the miles on them that I put on my Jeep.

I hear ya.... Not sure i agree with K&N being as bad as your implying. Im also not looking for a true cold air intake or huge performance gains from throwing a TJ intake tube on the YJ, just better for some water. Im just looking for a cheap way to gain some altitude. I would throw some pantyhose or a prefilter on the outside of the cone filter and just attach it to the end of the TJ Tube. free up alittle space by removing the factory airbox too. It does Look like quadratec has those rock-it types in stock, im not paying those prices for that thing though.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I hear ya.... Not sure i agree with K&N being as bad as your implying. .

well...he is correct. Oiled filters pass more fine dirt and also fine oil mist. It coats the inside of the intake tube and manifolds and any sensors, like the air intake temp sensor. Its a fact and it is directly observable.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I was kicking around the idea of using a TJ air intake tube on my YJ for a cheap DIY cold air intake. And really just to add some altitude to where the jeep breaths from. I am referring to the TJ's long intake tube that crosses over to the other side of the engine bay, just using the tub and throwing a K&N cone filter on the end. Almost like the old Rock-IT auto parts cheap intake. Anyone done this?
Just use the entire TJ air intake system, including the filter housing. The ones that I've seen have a horn attachment to make sure that the air is sucked up close to the hood. Like this one:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just use the entire TJ air intake system, including the filter housing. The ones that I've seen have a horn attachment to make sure that the air is sucked up close to the hood. Like this one:

I had a TJ, and i could swear i remember getting water into that stock air box. racking my brain..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts