Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a new Jeep owner I was hesitant to ask this question but what is the difference between a Jeep TJ and a JK? Is it just the year it was made or what exactly is the differences?

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
Big differences

TJ last jeep available with a straight six
Straight six is inherently balanced and a robust long lasting engine
TJ only comes as 2 doors although a slightly stretched version referred to as LJ was available last few years

TJ no power door locks or power windows

TJ a much more user friendly electronic system as all are pre CAN bus

JK has V6 engine Early engines from a minivan

JK can have 4 doors

JK can have power windows and door locks

Jk are all can bus a system so integrated that you cannot even power on a stock Chrysler can bus radio on a workbench as it only wakes up with a can bus signal

If you want a reliable older vehicle to work on get a TJ preferably 97-99 or 02-04 with no sig rust and a 4.0

If you don't want to work on your vehicle you would be happier with a newer vehicle

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Tj is 97-06... jk is 07-present

Completely different vehicles that while they are roughly the same shape, they share nothing

·
Registered
637 Posts
Big differences

TJ last jeep available with a straight six
Straight six is inherently balanced and a robust long lasting engine
TJ only comes as 2 doors although a slightly stretched version referred to as LJ was available last few years

TJ no power door locks or power windows

TJ a much more user friendly electronic system as all are pre CAN bus

JK has V6 engine Early engines from a minivan

JK can have 4 doors

JK can have power windows and door locks

Jk are all can bus a system so integrated that you cannot even power on a stock Chrysler can bus radio on a workbench as it only wakes up with a can bus signal

If you want a reliable older vehicle to work on get a TJ preferably 97-99 or 02-04 with no sig rust and a 4.0

If you don't want to work on your vehicle you would be happier with a newer vehicle

Nice details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Being a new Jeep owner I was hesitant to ask this question but what is the difference between a Jeep TJ and a JK? Is it just the year it was made or what exactly is the differences?
an easy way to tell the differences, features, etc. between all the Wranglers is to just go to Wikipedia and type 'Jeep Wrangler" in the search. It's pretty informative and gives a little info on what years that used certain engines, tranny's, etc. It also breaks down the different generations/years (YJ, TJ, JK, etc.). I found it to be quite informative.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Are you referring to the four wheel drive minivan that Chrysler claims is a Jeep?

PK Jeep RC.jpg

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'll shove it over the ledge.
It's mostly the colors that make them different. ;):lmao::rofl2:
:welcome: to the forum.

Actually there are hundreds of differences.
The body,
The drive train,
The interior.
And lots and Lots of little things too.

Reactions: rroosevelt

·
Registered
916 Posts
I suggest a trip to the nearest jeep outing, or club meeting. Ask those folks to show you their rigs. Soon you will start to see the difference. Most noticeable features are body. So,, YJ , square headlights
TJ round headlights , JK round headlights, but back slanted grill.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
A big difference is the JK allows using larger tires without such expensive modifications as required with the TJ.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Only took 6 post for it to head downhill.
Well why not have a little fun. Digger answered the OP's question in such a way that no further clarification is needed.

A big difference is the JK allows using larger tires without such expensive modifications as required with the TJ.
Question....Would it be cheaper to upgrade a TJ that's easier to work on, with plenty of aftermarket support, tried and true motor and drivetrain. Or buy the more expensive JK just because it has a V6 minivan motor (that a couple folks I know are having problems with durability) and D44 front/rear that will still need to be re-geared along with all the other upgrades required with larger tires ?

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you want heated seats, navigation, 4 doors, and something that looks like everything else on the road, get a JK.

If you want something that is easy to work on, doesn't have any fancy electronics, and is very reliable, get a TJ

·
Registered
15,711 Posts
The issues with head cracking makes them less desirable especially for a novice not sure how to tell if it is being sold with that issue or was run with coolant in oil and then had head repaired

The older ones with distributors or the newer years with the TUPY improved head design are just more desirable

But as long as you are aware of that possibility, a good running 00-01 with no sig rust is still a keeper

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well why not have a little fun. Digger answered the OP's question in such a way that no further clarification is needed.

Question....Would it be cheaper to upgrade a TJ that's easier to work on, with plenty of aftermarket support, tried and true motor and drivetrain. Or buy the more expensive JK just because it has a V6 minivan motor (that a couple folks I know are having problems with durability) and D44 front/rear that will still need to be re-geared along with all the other upgrades required with larger tires ?

Depends on your budget and know how with a wrench I suppose

I know JK owners that like them as well as their TJ's

Then you have the die hards that don't like the JK at all (doesn't feel it's a REAL Jeep ((actually it boils down to durability IMO))

You can get a rubi with 44 front and real axles. My 05 sport has 44 rear and 30 up front. Both are very trail reliable. I just need a little more upgrades before I can get REAL serious.

Just do quite a bit of reading here. Reviews. Ect

Good luck. Ultimately you won't regret being a Jeep owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Depends on your budget and know how with a wrench I suppose

I know JK owners that like them as well as their TJ's

Then you have the die hards that don't like the JK at all (doesn't feel it's a REAL Jeep ((actually it boils down to durability IMO))

You can get a rubi with 44 front and real axles. My 05 sport has 44 rear and 30 up front. Both are very trail reliable. I just need a little more upgrades before I can get REAL serious.

Just do quite a bit of reading here. Reviews. Ect

Good luck. Ultimately you won't regret being a Jeep owner.
This question
was being asked of SolarColumbia because of this statement
I'm well aware of what takes to build a rig to handle the terrain of choice.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts