Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up another TJ, 2001 4.0 automatic. Its been sitting in a garage for 8 years, because of a front end wreck. After putting it all back together, the front pump has started leaking. This rig has 129K on it. My question is, how many miles has you gotten out of a TJ automatic? Im trying to decide whether to put a pump and seal in her, or just go through the trans completely.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
That 32RH automatic transmission in your '01 is one of the very best and most 'bulletproof' automatics to have ever come out of Detroit. Truly. I'd keep it in there and not worry about it at only 129k miles. Fixing the leak and fresh ATF+4 and a new trans filter is likely all it needs. Make sure to only use ATF+4, nothing else is the right stuff.

I converted my previous TJ to run that 32RH, I loved it. I wish I could swap my current 42RLE automatic for another 32RH. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I pulled the trans yesterday, seal and bushing looked just fine. Appears after setting for 8 years, the pump to case seal dried up, and pulled apart when I started to drive her again. So, I dropped the trans off at my transmission builder this morning, hes going to reseal the whole unit. New bushing included. Great part,,, Ill have it back this afternoon, so as too get it back in tomorrow since my shop will be closed. Hopefully, we will be enjoying fireworks with the top off tomorrow night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts