Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just recently blew the u joint on my front passenger side and as i got pulled back to the street, the u's on the inner and outer shafts destroyed each other. i know you can pull the inner axle shafts on a jk and still drive in 2wd but can you do that on a tj as long as you leave the outer (stub) shafts in? only reason i ask is because i know the axles are a lot different. i tried to look for other threads on this but couldnt

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Yes, you can do that. Stuff a rag in the axle tube to keep debris out and wayward gear oil in. Same thing happened to me last time off road. Was able to limp to the flatbed

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Yep, you can drive forever without the inner axle shaft in place but the outer axle shaft stub must be in the hub to hold it together.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yep, you can drive forever without the inner axle shaft in place but the outer axle shaft stub must be in the hub to hold it together.
I'm sure you can drive but the shaft does seal at the housing to prevent the axle fluid from dumping. As long as you're not off camber or hauling it around corners the fluid would mostly stay in but fluid contamination would be inevitable.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
I understand what you're saying but I can't agree gear lube contamination is inevitable, at least not that it's an issue. The differential and gear lube is not a surgical suite that can't stand a little dirt if introduced. If you're worried about it, change the gear lube after installing the new axle. Been there done that with this exact issue. I drove mine 4-5 weeks until Warn finally got me the shafts I needed and the rag I had stuffed into the axle tube was clean as a whistle when I pulled it out to install the new shafts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not worried about having to replace the gear oil, since i was going to do that once i replace the shafts anyways, i just need to get it from houston to austin and REALLY dont want to pay for a tow truck. do yall happen to know what size nut is on the end of the outer shaft so i can get the inner out? also, it make logical sense to me that it wouldnt matter that one is in and one is out but just in case, it doesnt matter that ill have one inner shaft in and the other out, correct?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
If you're leaving the stub axle in, there's no reason to pull the 36mm nut, just pull the caliper, rotor, and three unit bearing bolts. Pull the whole unit bearing assembly off, then the inner axle out, and put it back together.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was nearly pointing out the forever would not last long with out shafts. Bearings don't like dirt. A short stint for Emergancy purposes would be fine and dirt does compromise your internals. That's all. Dirt increases friction and friction cause heat and heat breaks down oil. May not be an overnight process but it happens. Then repair cost will increase.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what's the best way to get it all out? I've never done any work inside the diff so I don't really trust myself enough to take everything out of it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts