Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem that if you close the door too fast, the back window will pop past the gasket and crack open. How do I fix this? The rest of the glass looks fine and the rear gate is lined up fine as well. I tried to upload a video on photobucket showing this but I couldn't get it to work right.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Loosen the hinge bolts to the glass and to the top and you may be able to move the glass down a touch then retighten. Mine used to do it and the tiny bit it moved down was enough

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I've already done that. I ordered a new bottom trim piece that's on the bottom edge of the glass
I'm having the same issue with the rear glass. Do I take correctly that you adjusted the hinges and the problem persisted?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm having the same issue with the rear glass. Do I take correctly that you adjusted the hinges and the problem persisted?
Correct. The only other thing to do would be to remove the window and make the mounting holes larger on the hinge. I was going to do that until I found a TSB about this issue and that Jeep issued a new updated rear bottom ledge that attaches to the bottom of the rear glass.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I saw a tip on a forum that there are two clips, one on each side, installed on the back door to help keep the softtop secure. If these are not removed when installing the hardtop, it can prevent the back window from completely closing. I took those clips off mine, and it worked.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I saw a tip on a forum that there are two clips, one on each side, installed on the back door to help keep the softtop secure. If these are not removed when installing the hardtop, it can prevent the back window from completely closing. I took those clips off mine, and it worked.
By clips, do you mean these guys on each side?

Those are necessary for securing the soft-top rear window but in reading my manual I didn't find anything about taking them off when installing the hard top.

So I'm wondering now, "with a hard-top equipped TJ, did they come on the vehicle from the factory, or, did they have to be installed after delivery to the owner?"

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The factory clips do not affect the hardtop glass. I have both hard and soft. From other post, apparently some aftermarket softop brackets do affect interfere with the rubber lip. A hard top only Jeep would not have the soft top tailgate bar clips.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The factory clips do not affect the hardtop glass. I have both hard and soft. From other post, apparently some aftermarket softop brackets do affect interfere with the rubber lip. A hard top only Jeep would not have the soft top tailgate bar clips.
Not entirely true, sorry. My Hard Top only has them. I had to install them for my Tonneau cover. It latches under them to keep it snug. I got my Tonneau cover, Bikini Top, Windjammer, and Deluxe Tire Cover from Mopar when I brought my Jeep. So, they were not aftermarket.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
But not the factory softop tailgate bar.

·
Registered
626 Posts

Those are necessary for securing the soft-top rear window but in reading my manual I didn't find anything about taking them off when installing the hard top.

So I'm wondering now, "with a hard-top equipped TJ, did they come on the vehicle from the factory, or, did they have to be installed after delivery to the owner?"
Yep, those are the ones. In some cases they can cause some interference and keep the back glass from going down as far as it could go. They did in my case.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My problem isn't that the glass has an issue of completely closing. It closes just fine. The issue is when someone slams the doors closed with the windows up, it causes the back glass to pop open on the passenger side. The new seal is in. I will pick it up in the morning and see if that fixes anything.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have the exact same problem on my 03 Rubicon. I have 03 Sport my daughter drives that has no such problem, very strange. I leave the driver's window cracked open.

·
Registered
19 Posts

If your rear window isn't closing properly in your hardtop or keeps popping open, then I would highly recommend popping these bad boys off. I'm pretty sure the bottom of the window is supposed to lay flush with the tub itself. Having extra junk in the way will just add to your problems.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Correct. The only other thing to do would be to remove the window and make the mounting holes larger on the hinge. I was going to do that until I found a TSB about this issue and that Jeep issued a new updated rear bottom ledge that attaches to the bottom of the rear glass.

Would you happen to have the number for this TSB or a copy of it. I mentioned it to my local Jeep parts guys and they looked at me like I had 3 eyes.
I only have 2.I put my hardtop in the garage so now it is fine. :lmao:

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
They changed the part in 1997 and have not changed since so unless your clips attached to the body are early 1997 it does not apply

If you have the early 1997 model just get the clips of any other year TJ

And there is no part number difference hard top vs soft top just a change in mid production of the 1997 model

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only thing I can think of is that the original trim piece wasn't attached correctly or too far up causing this issue. I noticed the gasket was much larger. I bought this jeep used and not sure if it came from the factory with a hardtop or not. It also could be an older top????

Part number is 55176736AD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts