Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. Brought a friend's JK to my mechanic and he says the point where the body attaches to the frame in the front is rusted out and the front of the body is just sitting on the frame. Says the frame is A-OK. I wonder if anyone here has experience with this, if it's worth fixing, and where to look to get the job done. I assume this is not something which can be done at home.

I'm going over there tomorrow to see what's up and can post an update if I can take some pictures.

·
Retired Moderator
100,513 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Title says it all. Brought a friend's JK to my mechanic and he says the point where the body attaches to the frame in the front is rusted out and the front of the body is just sitting on the frame. Says the frame is A-OK. I wonder if anyone here has experience with this, if it's worth fixing, and where to look to get the job done. I assume this is not something which can be done at home.

I'm going over there tomorrow to see what's up and can post an update if I can take some pictures.
what year is the jk?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 98.

I called around and there's a place that can do the repair for around $1800 assuming all 6 (he said there are 3 mounts on each side in the front) mounts are bad.Tomorrow I'll actually see it, my guy was busy all day today.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's a 98.

I called around and there's a place that can do the repair for around $1800 assuming all 6 (he said there are 3 mounts on each side in the front) mounts are bad.Tomorrow I'll actually see it, my guy was busy all day today.
Not a JK. TJ.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Moved it to tj

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
IIRC there are four body mounts on each side of the TJ tub. Three in front of the rear axle and one behind it.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoops, it is in fact a TJ... thanks for correcting me and moving the thread. Anyway, I got some pics over the weekend (attached). Seems on the passenger side the metal of the mount in a large flat section rusted and fell off, and on the driver side, it has torn.

The car quite visibly bounces when you put it into reverse, and my mechanic says he notices it when he drives the car. It is surprising to me to hear there are so many mounts, I'm surprised that these two being gone would cause such a severe symptom.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
yikes , that's toast. that is gonna need extensive repairs.

you could go through the trouble of having it media blasted and see if there is enough to hold a new channel, but it looks to me like a new tub is probably your best bet to not do this in a new spot every yr.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is troubling news. I think it would be wise based on your input that I have the welding shop take a look before I have my mechanic do any work (two front rotors, pads, left front caliper, and replace leaking tranny hose - total $500).

A replacement tub "appears" reasonably low cost for the part alone - I suppose if I find one on eBay for $500 I should expect it is in poor condition? Then of course there is the cost associated with the swap, which I don't have the time to do in any short number of weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Added challenge there is, despite it being likely the car has been like this for over a year (incl. the brakes...), I gather it would not be safe to drive (my mechanic said, "I wouldn't"). The cost to repair is already burdensome, it would be unfeasible to tow it. I'll need to evaluate this evening how much I am willing to drive it the 50 mile round trip from mechanic to body shop and back.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
This is troubling news. I think it would be wise based on your input that I have the welding shop take a look before I have my mechanic do any work (two front rotors, pads, left front caliper, and replace leaking tranny hose - total $500).

A replacement tub "appears" reasonably low cost for the part alone - I suppose if I find one on eBay for $500 I should expect it is in poor condition? Then of course there is the cost associated with the swap, which I don't have the time to do in any short number of weeks.
Post some additional pics of the frame, I would be concerned about that also considering the severe rust on the tub.

I have seen numerous tubs on Craigslist and FB marketplace and it all depends where the Jeep was kept, rust belt or dry climate.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
take a few more pics. include shots of the other body mounts and a few the frame, especially by the skid plate.
the frame in that pic doesn't look great, but not nearly as bad as the underbody.

if the frame is near it's end and the body is in this shape it may be time to part with it and find another.
upload what pics you can and maybe we can help you decide if the drive is really worth it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't see the frame being AOK with that going on. I'm guessing the insides of the frame are toast and rusting through any day now. I'd inspect the frame very carefully to include pulling the transmission skid plate (if the nutserts aren't rusted lose, but it's a good test to frame condition) and running a camera through all the frame holes. Where there's rust like you pictured, there's more hiding.

If you have to have all this work done by someone else it might be wise to cut your losses now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You may get a dry climate tub, and frame for less at a west coast, or Arizona source. I got some parts here in So. Cali, at "Sgt Jeep", in Rosamond Calif. He is on FB, and also a fairly cool guy. He only deals in Jeeps, and does not even deal with Cherokees. Has TONS of TJ, and JK stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: I ended up bringing it to an autobody welding shop that quoted $1800 to media blast, replace the two front mounts, and re-do the undercoating. He said he would media blast the underside and completely inspect, and if from there he finds there is not enough metal to repair the mount points, or if he finds some additional problems, he can quote me on the repairs required or I can pay $50 for the media blasting and inspection and drive away. I took him up on this and he went ahead, turns out the rest of the tub is in sound condition, except that some of the front bushings in the center were, instead of rubber bushings, replaced with folded pieces of aluminum siding. Other than that, I was even complimented on the rest of the tub for "clearly keeping the car in the garage" - which it has not been... I suspect whatever caused the damage to the side mounts, is the same as these "rubber bushings" supporting the center of the tub: a bad case of previous owner syndrome.

I'll post updates when I get the car back, he is going to take photos of the process. Currently waiting on parts as it's that time of year all shipments are delayed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts