Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple questions on this plan.

using hard half top on TJ that is a classic CJ8 top so I would NOT want to drill hole in it for rear half family cage to go thru it. Cant afford a GR8 Top. Besides... the long rear deck idea does not work as well with rear half of roll bar anyway.

well obviously this means the pilot/cab cage has no triangulation so it sorta becomes worthless. (cage-ish thing in drawing is a rack not a cage)

options to remedy. NOT shown in drawing.
. install reasonable cost weld in cab cage w/out rearward running triangulation as is usually done.... aka.. IN CAB ONLY portion. (not shown in any of below but most yall know what they are... I think. just in case... like one at this image

. from B pillar (OEM cage hoop) triangulate forward along the seat. similar to attached pic. this would be sorta the replacement triangulation to what is removed by not using the rear one.

. from A pillar (windshield frame) like shown in photo of blue TJ below. Drill thru windshield frame where over door bar bolts to it... and use an aftermarket bolt on plate (that usually is used "inside"on windshield frame to fab up new over door bar). bolt the OEM or newer "over door bar" all the way thru the A pillar to said steel plate on the "outside" of windshield frame/A pillar..... then off that plate..... weld a triangulation bar running FORWARD toward bumper. Where to attach that is a conundrum. (bar affixed in a way that it moves same as body) . NOT typical way to triangulate things... but better than nothing since I cant triangulate backward.

Not doing competitions.... just want to protect my cranium about equal to OEM cage. OEM cage saved my skull once in 1.75 roll down a 60 degree bank due to black ice in another TJ. . My wonder is can I do the top two and leave out last one (A pillar/windshield frame mod) idea to reach that goal? Doing the front bar is a whole new pickle jar..... where the first two are somewhat reasonable to do.
Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
04 lj with GRTOPS half cab conversion 05 rocky mountain 06 rubicon with banks sidewinder turbo
383 Posts
i just cut mine off on my LJ and put the GR8 top on have had ill effects so far. might do a rockhard cage in the future maybe i have them in my two TJ's.really don't think you'll have any problems cutting them off i see no need to anything

·
Registered
04 lj with GRTOPS half cab conversion 05 rocky mountain 06 rubicon with banks sidewinder turbo
383 Posts
couple questions on this plan.

using hard half top on TJ that is a classic CJ8 top so I would NOT want to drill hole in it for rear half family cage to go thru it. Cant afford a GR8 Top. Besides... the long rear deck idea does not work as well with rear half of roll bar anyway.

well obviously this means the pilot/cab cage has no triangulation so it sorta becomes worthless. (cage-ish thing in drawing is a rack not a cage)

options to remedy. NOT shown in drawing.
. install reasonable cost weld in cab cage w/out rearward running triangulation as is usually done.... aka.. IN CAB ONLY portion. (not shown in any of below but most yall know what they are... I think. just in case... like one at this image

. from B pillar (OEM cage hoop) triangulate forward along the seat. similar to attached pic. this would be sorta the replacement triangulation to what is removed by not using the rear one.

. from A pillar (windshield frame) like shown in photo of blue TJ below. Drill thru windshield frame where over door bar bolts to it... and use an aftermarket bolt on plate (that usually is used "inside"on windshield frame to fab up new over door bar). bolt the OEM or newer "over door bar" all the way thru the A pillar to said steel plate on the "outside" of windshield frame/A pillar..... then off that plate..... weld a triangulation bar running FORWARD toward bumper. Where to attach that is a conundrum. (bar affixed in a way that it moves same as body) . NOT typical way to triangulate things... but better than nothing since I cant triangulate backward.

Not doing competitions.... just want to protect my cranium about equal to OEM cage. OEM cage saved my skull once in 1.75 roll down a 60 degree bank due to black ice in another TJ. . My wonder is can I do the top two and leave out last one (A pillar/windshield frame mod) idea to reach that goal? Doing the front bar is a whole new pickle jar..... where the first two are somewhat reasonable to do. View attachment 4528416
View attachment 4528418

[/Q
if i was worried about doing anything i'd just do the rockhard sport cage it will strengthen up

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just cut mine off on my LJ and put the GR8 top on have had ill effects so far. might do a rockhard cage in the future maybe i have them in my two TJ's.really don't think you'll have any problems cutting them off i see no need to anything
how tall are you? word is the Gr8 Tops are about 4" longer in rear section than the CJ8 top thus more limited to push seat back with the CJ8? Also just to clarify.... you said "..i just cut mine off on my LJ and put the GR8 top on have had ill effects so far...." is the word "NO" missing in that sentence?? or have you had issues with the GR8 top?

·
Registered
383 Posts
how tall are you? word is the Gr8 Tops are about 4" longer in rear section than the CJ8 top thus more limited to push seat back with the CJ8? Also just to clarify.... you said "..i just cut mine off on my LJ and put the GR8 top on have had ill effects so far...." is there a word (NO) missing in that sentence.... or have you had issues with the GR8 top?
correct no ill effects i'm 5'7 and you do loose a little rear movement with the seat. make sure GR8tops sends the correct top to windshield fasteners don't be afraid to put a lot of seam sealer between the bottom of the bulkhead and floor.

·
Registered
383 Posts
how tall are you? word is the Gr8 Tops are about 4" longer in rear section than the CJ8 top thus more limited to push seat back with the CJ8? Also just to clarify.... you said "..i just cut mine off on my LJ and put the GR8 top on have had ill effects so far...." is the word "NO" missing in that sentence?? or have you had issues with the GR8 top?
i might be wrong but i think the GR8top is probably molded from a CJ8 top because they use the same rear window

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i might be wrong but i think the GR8top is probably molded from a CJ8 top because they use the same rear window
got too many projects to afford a Gr8 Top... this will be a good thousand plus cheaper using the CJ8 top I found. if the extra shortness that has been reported does not become an issue with my old knees.

How far back to you put your seat? We are approx same Height

·
Registered
383 Posts
got too many projects to afford a Gr8 Top... this will be a good thousand plus cheaper using the CJ8 top I found. if the extra shortness that has been reported does not become an issue with my old knees.

How far back to you put your seat? We are approx same Height
not as far back as could go. it is almost touching the rear window i can't reach the petals real good if i put it all the way back LOL. if you have an original CJ8 top it's probably worth a lot of money to the right person

·
Registered
383 Posts
how is your doors going to fit with that top???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts