Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my TJ has this clunking sound when you shift in and out of reverse. It kinda of kicks and makes a clunk. The noise also happen when you punch the gas (i don't do it very often but when I do, it happens) for a split second before it engages and you go.

My question is this. I took it to a local trusted mechanic and he gave me some information that I want to bounce off the 4x4 guys. He said that I have an upgraded Dana 44 axle and I also have a 33 spline ring and pinion with 4:10 gears. When it took the rear diff off, he noticed that I have a detroit locker. I guess this type of locker is like an air locker just always engaged. He said that because of the set up, the dana 44, the 33 spline 4:10 gears and the detroit locker is what makes the kick. The kick is about a half/full turn in the drive shaft once you shift in and out of reverse before it engages.

My question to you, before I am told that I "have" to change out my locker for the only other locker my set up can have (ARB air locker) is does this sound legit? Don't get me wrong, I have a ARB front locker and I want to put one in the rear but I don't want to spend the money right now. Just wanted to make sure I am getting the best information

EDIT: He also informed me that they don't make anything other then no locker, my detroit locker that is always engaged and an ARB air locker. I can't step down to a LSD if I wanted to

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did u check drive line U joints. I had a clunk. It was CV u joints output side of T-case. Were way bad to the point they were gonna brake in half

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not. I took it in because I know nothing about axles and transmissions. Luckly jot a transmission problem. The guy even told me there was nothing wrong with the locker. He said eveything was operating how it is suppose to. Then he said "but I wont drive it because it is dangerous" I dont think this guy is out to rape me in money.

I am just curious if this COULD be the problem

·
Registered
45 Posts
So i rear diff. ( locker ) is ok. Then crawl under and look at the U joints. Try moving rear drive line up n down. <<> thats bad if it moves up n down. U can see the U joints and if they are good or bad. Still idk. Fully locked mechanical locker is like a spool. Do u get bind or wheel hop around corners?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I dont have the rig here so I can't look at the u joints. I do know that I don't get wheel hop around corners but I don't think i know what bind is. Either way, there is no problem around corners except coming out of one, at the very end of a turn, you kind of get pulled and pushed (each side of the vehicle) as if the wheels are spinning at the exact same speed (Detroit locker) and then straightens out. It isn't violent or something you can loose control of it. you can just feel it when your in the rig.

If you turn right, and you start to come out of the turn, the right will push out and the left will pull back and vise versa

·
Registered
45 Posts
No wheel hop. Or bind. Like if you went in 4x4 on dry pavement u can feel axles bind. Probably it is a Limited slip locker. If it was full locked it would not like driving on street at all and you would be annoyed w it as well im sure. But either way. U joints are replaceable and the locker is replaceable. You can get a detroit truetrac wich acts like a open diff under normal driving then automatically sends power to wheel w more traction when off roading. A Yukon grizzly locker stays 100% locked until you turn it release to allow turning then locks again. Truetrac is clutchless gear driven. Yukon has clutches and springs. Both are good quality. Grizzly might be a bit stronger built. But take a look at U joints first when u can. If u joints bad. Just a matter of pulling drive line and taking it to a shop and have them replaced

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats just it. I can't get anything

I was told that I have to get a regular set (no locker), keep my detroit or install another detroit or install an ARB air locker because I have a 33 spline dana 44 setup.

I asked him if it was a LSD and he said no. Detroit does make LSD but they also make what he called "true" lockers. These locker are air lockers that you can never disengage

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well do some research for a 33 spline rear Diff. Im sure they are out there. These days there are so many combos and options. You might try randysringandpinion.com

Experts in all things drivetrains

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha, thats funny because as soon as I look up a 97 wrangler with a dana 44 and a 33 spline ring, there is only one option, the detroit locker I have right now....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I am going to go pick the jeep up tomorrow so we will see.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I found an OX locker for your set up in a quick search. I'm sure there are way more choices for you. I never heard of an always locked air locker. What's the point of that? I don't think your locker is the noise you refer to. It would be noticed during tight turns not reversing.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If you get 1/2 rotation on the driveshaft before the axles move, the backlash is probably too high.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I got the jeep back today. Hooray for the new rear air locker!!! So the clunking noise is gone for sure and the feeling of the rear engaging when you step on the gas (the violent kick) is gone but the kick is still there. Time to investigate.

First stop u-joints

1 - 15 of 15 Posts