Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to work it started to get difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd. I stopped to check it out and noticed a horrible grinding/growling sound when the clutch was let out a few inches from the floor. Goes away when you push it all the way down. Replaced the slave cylinder as it was leaking, and know change. Pulled the tranny and replaced the throwout bearing which looked pretty bad. Still no change. While i had it up jacks the wheels will spin quit fast in neutral with the clutch out. the fingers on the pressure plate look good. I know i should have bought a clutch kit and replaced it all but money is a little tight. Any thought boys?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I want to make sure I understand your discription. Are you saying that with the trans in neutral and the clutch pedal released that the tires are still spinning like a gear is engaged? It simply isn't possible for the drive to the wheels to occur when you are in neutral...unless the pilot bearing was damaged and the input-shaft was turning with the crank. This could also account for the sound that you hear when you start to release the pedal. A bad or failed pilot can do some unusual things like howl and bind the shaft. Check it out and let me know what you find!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wheels definately spin fast in neutral with the clutch out. Thanks for the advice ill check it out. Took me 4 hrs to pull the trans the first time, hoping to do it today in 3

·
Registered
583 Posts
SPEC-01 said:
I want to make sure I understand your discription. Are you saying that with the trans in neutral and the clutch pedal released that the tires are still spinning like a gear is engaged? It simply isn't possible for the drive to the wheels to occur when you are in neutral...unless the pilot bearing was damaged and the input-shaft was turning with the crank. This could also account for the sound that you hear when you start to release the pedal. A bad or failed pilot can do some unusual things like howl and bind the shaft. Check it out and let me know what you find!
This. It's quite a can of worms

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got some new info. When i put the transfer case in neutral there is no grinding sound whatsoever and the wheels dont move . Its gotta be the transfer case Right?????

·
Registered
673 Posts
You're not making much sense.... Have a friend crawl under there and tell you where the noise is coming from.

The reason the noise goes away when the TC is in neutral, is because there is no load on the clutch, and it's grabbing and not slipping into engagement.

You're describing the friction plate being worn down to the rivets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know i'm kind of getting all over the place. I did manage to get a friend to step on and off the clutch for me. Sound seems to be coming from the front of the transfer case. The clutch is only a is only a few years old ( same as the transmission ) No grinding noise in the bell housing area at all. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem is the same as before i changed the throwout bearing. The linkage is all back the way it should be. Im going to pull the transfer case tonight and have a look. Can i use the same model of t-case (np231j) if it came off a 98 cherokee auto? Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
673 Posts
On the way to work it started to get difficult to shift into 1st and 2nd. ...While i had it up jacks the wheels will spin quit fast in neutral with the clutch out.
I think you broke the bearing in second gear.

If you pull the plug on the tranny, you might find needle bearings on the magnet. Save the oil in a clean container in case you don't find any bearings.

·
Registered
673 Posts
The problem is the same as before i changed the throwout bearing. The linkage is all back the way it should be. Im going to pull the transfer case tonight and have a look. Can i use the same model of t-case (np231j) if it came off a 98 cherokee auto? Thanks again for the help.
Your problem is before the TC. If you have the tranny in neutral and the wheels spin with authority, you have a problem in the tranny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts