Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've had a vibration in the rear of my jeep I've replaced the axle shafts the axle shaft berrings seals, driveshaft, checked the pinion angle. And I still have the same vibration. The only thing I can think is the inner berrings or pinion berrings. Oh no vibration when coasting or in 4wd with the rear driveshaft removed. Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful...:)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If you have no vibration when the driveshaft is removed that means your pinion angle is bad or your driveshaft is not balanced properly. Post up some pictures of your rear pinion and driveshaft so we can see how it looks.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
It might just be the angle of the photo perspective playing tricks on my eyes but it looks like it's pointed up a tad too much no?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I checked the angle of tle pumpkin to the shaft and it's right on. That's why I was thinking pinion berrings. If I'm coasting no throttle the vibration subsides.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Does the jeep make high pitch whining sound on deceleration?

Do you have diff fluid leaking at the rear pinion?

Is there free play when you move the rear pinion yoke?

If its a no to all of those I wouldn't think it a rear diff issue, and that would point to pinion angle or improper DS balance. You actually want your rear pinion angled a degree or two under the T-case instead of pointed right at it.

I am also assuming you have no play in your U-joints? Look to see if the U-joint caps have rotated in the yoke or the CV.

·
Registered
353 Posts
see his picture? yes he does.

Does the jeep make high pitch whining sound on deceleration?

Do you have diff fluid leaking at the rear pinion?

Is there free play when you move the rear pinion yoke?

If its a no to all of those I wouldn't think it a rear diff issue, and that would point to pinion angle or improper DS balance. You actually want your rear pinion angled a degree or two under the T-case instead of pointed right at it.

I am also assuming you have no play in your U-joints? Look to see if the U-joint caps have rotated in the yoke or the CV.
Mine starting leaking at the Pinion seal because of the vibration, when you say free play in the pinion do you mean spin it left to right or free play like it rattles (loose)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Sorry- have a rubi with a sye and it doesn't look like that where it joins the transfer case
If you have a rubi you don't have an SYE because there is no Slip Yoke to Eliminate. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
My bad- I will set back and just watch the rest of this thread as I have no knowledgable input left to give :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
see his picture? yes he does.

Mine starting leaking at the Pinion seal because of the vibration, when you say free play in the pinion do you mean spin it left to right or free play like it rattles (loose)
Like it rattles. How bad is the leak? What about the whining sound? And how about the u-joints? All very important lol.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Also, have you tried rotating the tires? Potentially could be out of balance. Kinda a shot in the dark I know but worth a try!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Like it rattles. How bad is the leak? What about the whining sound? And how about the u-joints? All very important lol.
the leak is just seaping as of now, it is a new seal maybe 200 miles on it, all ujoints and DS are new TW.. Tires are not the issue as it's a vibration not a shake and it drives smooth in 4wdwith rear DS out at 60-70-& 80

·
Registered
669 Posts
Not to be rude, but how do you know lol? Friend?

Like the Second post says it has a very high potential to be the DS out of balance.

Is the Dana 44 original to the jeep? Where I'm going with that is hopefully your housing isn't bent. And did you guys try adjusting the pinion angle yet?

IS THERE A WHINING SOUND ON DECELERATION???? The rear pinion bearing will make a whining sound if they are bad or loose. If you get a whining sound on acceleration it is a carrier bearing.

And does the pinion yoke rattle?????????? Answer all of the questions so I try figure it out from the other side of the country lol :)

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Scribed to try and learn....I was sittin here thinkin' U-Joints...............considering everything else that was changed I wondered how those got missed......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts