Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Montana! I purchased a 2003 Wrangler X, and I am loving it. It did have a problem when I picked it up, and I am attmepting to fix it. The mode selector switch ( defrost, feet, torso) to set where the air blows was broken. I ordered a new part, and took the center part of the dash apart and put a new control center for it. I got everything put back together, but I cannot get the switch to change from defrost to the other modes.

When I first took the old control out and unplugged it, I heard what sounded like air escaping. I got all the connections right, and everything mated up like it should be, but cannot get the selector to change modes.

Any ideas?

biceps1

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm not sure you're going to get a response on a 5 1/2 year old thread but I can tell you that replacing the AC/Heater Control is very easy to do and I believe for an 05/06 the control is cheaper than previous years because it was redesigned for those years (50 bucks versus 90). Check Ebay as they had the best prices when I went shopping for mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
does the knob turn, but the door does not change the air flow output? If so there is a vacumn hose off or broken. Usually at the back of the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
broken i guess

even when i can get the fan to turn off there is still a "hiss" from the vents. and to get the fan /ac to turn off i have to- first, turn fan control to high so i can hear it; second "play" with the diverter/selector knob until the fan turns off. then i still hear the "hiss" / leak? in the dash. i dont know if its the knob or a leak.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Here is a link to a thread that shows the vacuum line. It can also be leaking at the back of the mode switch. There are several hoses there. The black one is the vacuum supply. The switch then routes the vacuum from there. Make sure all the connections are good.

HVAC vacuum lines Post 11 has a diagram & others have photos.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hell of a job on searching for your problem before posting LOL

I think the HVAC vacuum lines thread should help you fix up your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Heat/Air Director

Repeating this from another post here:

Could not get the air flow to redirect to defrost, Floor, vent......found that the engine vacuum hose had come loose from the engine. Actually, the bloody thing was totally off the port. Stuck it back on, added a cable tie to keep it snug, and everything worked as per spec ! Love free fixes. The vacuum cable port is on the drivers side of the engine block.
Thanks to the previous posts on this subject.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts