Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 4.0L manual usually starts right up, even when not driven for a few weeks (it's not my DD).
Over the last few months, I've noticed that it has to crank much longer after a drive, say 40 miles.
Runs and drives great, but when I turn it off, let it cool, and come back a few hours later, I've had trouble starting. It cranks strongly, but seems starved for gas, maybe.
I had the fuel pump replaced in 2012, but am I now having trouble with that fuel pump check valve I've read about?
Shouldn't a new fuel pump have solved this, or should I expect to have to replace it again? Should the (very reputable) shop that replaced it be responsible for fixing it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
but when I turn it off, let it cool, and come back a few hours later, I've had trouble starting. It cranks strongly, but seems starved for gas, maybe.
A few hours would rule out vapor lock. What happens if you restart after 10 mins?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually if I'm running errands around town, it starts right up every time. Seems to be the long drive and complete cool down that causes trouble.
However, if I come home from a long drive, and come back to it a few days later, it starts right up.
Unpredictable, and I'm worried I'll get stranded somewhere remote, unable to start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts