Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting noise from my engine area and thought it might be where the down pipe connects to the exhaust manifold. So I attempted to tighten the bolts but they appeared to be tight. I bought new bolts, M10-1.5 x 45mm, coated them with a little copper anti seize and torque them down to 23 foot pounds and guess what, noise is gone. Apparently the old bolts were incapable of torquing to the right value and tightening the exhaust at the same time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Maybe unrelated, maybe not...

I had a fitment issue with a new down pipe I put on mine in July. Kept kreeping down on me and banging on the transfer case. Moved and tightened EVERYTHING. A month later, the pipes moved again. I could wiggle the whole thing side to side. No matter how good I got them cinched up, it would not get tight enough to stay put.

Main problem was with the flange or the flare on the pipe. Winter came and I was not in the mood to crawl around for another round to re-install the replacement part, so I went to my local guy to let him fiddle with things.

In the process, he told me he also replaced the original studs with regular nuts and bolts that were longer.

Everything is nice and snug. Quieted things down considerably!

Reactions: OldBarn

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've read from other places that people will tack a weld onto the bolts/nuts to keep them from slipping, because it's a high vibration area and not much fun to get to. I may do that myself after installing my new exhaust, because 9 out of 10 times you have to cut those bolts off anyway to remove the down pipe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts