Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fun never stops, lol. Finally got the plow situated on this thing and now there is a strange electrical glitch?? (2000 TJ 6 cyl auto with Meyer plow)

I drive this thing back to the shop for the first time and I notice the radio clips out for a brief second once in a while. (drove it home to plow but had ear buds in and no radio on so I didnt hear anything before). Its as if the radio staion isnt coming in clear. I listen to satelite in my primary vehicle 99.9% of the time so I just think its due to crap radio. Now I start noticing that its doing it pretty frequently, like every other minute or so. but now I see the gas gauge needle jump back a hair at the same time the radio clips as well. Not everytime but seemingly most. (its hard to stare at it while driving in traffic and listening for the radio to drop out without ramming into the car in front of me)

It doesn't seem to be any worse or better going over bumps or smooth road. I was also looking at the alternator at the same time trying to figure out what the amp output was in case we need to upgrade for the plow so I had the defroster / blower and headlights going while actuating the plow while parked and again every minute or so you just barely here the radio staion drop for a milli-second as if you're going under a bridge.

I also turned the radio off, though the unit is still getting power and lit, and on the same schedule I see the fuel gauge jump again.

I dont have a clue where to even start looking. Any idea's??????

Thanks in advance.........

·
Registered
227 Posts
given the 2 noticable symptoms are not connected in any way I can think of, off the top on my head I say take a look at the bulkhead connector at the firewall.... if you start to notice more guages or dash components doing it at the same time, then I would check grounds too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
given the 2 noticable symptoms are not connected in any way I can think of, off the top on my head I say take a look at the bulkhead connector at the firewall.... if you start to notice more guages or dash components doing it at the same time, then I would check grounds too.

How do I ID the connector?

·
Registered
227 Posts
How do I ID the connector?
It is the big one at the firewall by the brake boost (IIRC). It has a bolt up the middle of it I believe. It is the main connector running inside the jeep.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I HAVE A SIMILAR PROBLEM. LOOK AT MY POST JAN 13th BATTERY CAPACITY QUESTION. I just replaced the battery with a KIRKLAND 1000AMP/795CCA for $79.00 AND SO FAR SO GOOD. THE battery I replaced was MARCH 09 and it was AUTOCRAFT silver 825/660CCA. It hasn't been cold enough to be sure the problem is solved. The gages didn't fluctuate only radio and check gage light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts