Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 TJ with the 4.0 Liter and unfortunately it's at the end of it's life. I'm looking into getting a rebuilt engine but don't know where to look. Someone said Jasper has rebuilt engines, but I'm wondering if anyone has got one from there or any other site?

·
Registered
04 lj with GRTOPS half cab conversion 05 rocky mountain 06 rubicon with banks sidewinder turbo
1,467 Posts
get a reputable automotive machine shop to rebuild your much better than a Jasper

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The advantage of finding a shop to rebuild yours is that it's so easy to stroke the 4.0. Get a 4.2 crank and 4.2 short rods. That turns your rebuilt engine into a 4.5 budget stroker. I think there's a company selling new 4.2 rotating assemblies because this is such a popular mod. The 2004 and earlier stock camshaft maximizes dynamic compression on this 4.5 budget stroker set-up.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have an 02 TJ with the 4.0 Liter and unfortunately it's at the end of it's life. I'm looking into getting a rebuilt engine but don't know where to look. Someone said Jasper has rebuilt engines, but I'm wondering if anyone has got one from there or any other site?
Where are you located? Are you familiar with any machine shops in your area? Depending on where you are, there could be a well known Jeep engine builder close by.

If you have the ability to remove and disassemble the engine yourself, a machine shop will be able to rebuild it for less than half the cost of a Jasper. Also, we probably should be supporting our local machinists anyway.

·
Registered
04 lj with GRTOPS half cab conversion 05 rocky mountain 06 rubicon with banks sidewinder turbo
1,467 Posts
Where are you located? Are you familiar with any machine shops in your area? Depending on where you are, there could be a well known Jeep engine builder close by.

If you have the ability to remove and disassemble the engine yourself, a machine shop will be able to rebuild it for less than half the cost of a Jasper. Also, we probably should be supporting out local machinists anyway.
jasper engines aren't very good

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have looked into the jeep specialty shops near me and none do rebuilds. They are the ones that actually recommended finding a rebuilt engine online. One suggested going used, but I'd hate to buy an engine that may have its own problems, and finding a used jeep engine with low miles is looking for a miracle. I've called several shops and most don't do rebuilds or seem like they don't want to do it. I have only found one that gave me a ball park estimate of $5000 to $5500, but they said they are booked until the spring.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have looked into the jeep specialty shops near me and none do rebuilds. They are the ones that actually recommended finding a rebuilt engine online. One suggested going used, but I'd hate to buy an engine that may have its own problems, and finding a used jeep engine with low miles is looking for a miracle. I've called several shops and most don't do rebuilds or seem like they don't want to do it. I have only found one that gave me a ball park estimate of $5000 to $5500, but they said they are booked until the spring.
Again, where are you located?

We are not talking about "Jeep Shops" that charge $5K to install a rough country "lift kit". We are talking about engine machine shops that have specialized machines to clean, bore, resurface and assemble engine blocks and cylinder heads. Shops that recommend installing a used or rebuilt engine are shops that do brake jobs and inspection stickers all day for grandma's Rav-4. Google engine machine shop in your area, or tell us which state you are in so we can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
where are you located

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm in the south west suburbs of Chicago.
FastTimes Motorworks - 3701 Berdnick St STE D, Rolling Meadows, IL 60008

Begler’s Engine Machining - 601 W Jeffery St, Kankakee, IL 60901

American Speed Enterprises - 3006 Avenue of the Cities, Moline, IL 61265

Weddle Performance Engines - 132 E Dolans Ln, East Peoria, IL 61611

Custom Engine Services - 204 Woodlawn Ave, Aurora, IL 60506

Engine Rebuilders and Supply, Inc. - 4010 North Avenue Stone Park, IL 60165

1 - 14 of 14 Posts