Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

TJ Exhaust System

26K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  Patrick H 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have read and researched all the exhaust threads out there and still need some help. I don't understand exactly the layout of the exhaust and the difference between cat backs and etc. I want to upgrade my exhaust on my 1997 I6, I want it louder than it is currently. I definitely don't want one of those loud,annoying exhausts. I just want it deeper and noticeable to make the engine sound better. Thanks

#2 ·
Cat backs are usually bolt on exhaust systems that replace everything from the cat on back. The other option is to cut the muffler out with a sawall and weld in new muffler.

I went with a Thrush Welded for about $30 and also needed a small section of 2 1/4" exhaust pipe....then 3 welds. :thumb: If you pick up a Thrush Welded (#17651) and took it in to a local exhaust shop to have it installed, I bet the total project would be about $60-$80.

#4 ·
If you crawl under your jeep and look up into the skid plate you will see two larger items on the exhaust the one closer to the front is the third cat and the on closer to the back is the muffler. In between them in a flange mount. Cat backs will remove everything after the flange mount and replace it.

Headers will replace the exhaust manifolds that connect to the engine.

I have the MBRP cat back and love the sound it makes, deeper growl but not extremely loud and only a small amount of drone at idle.
First of all, thank you for the responses! I dont think I want to replace the headers. Will that effect the sound a lot? I read that cat backs usually cost more than than they should. Also, i cannot weld so would would a thrush weld exhaust and then taken to exhaust shop be the best way to achieve the sound im looking for?

Basically I think I want a louder growl when accelerating and when at idle at little roar and when driving it to be not obnoxious.

Thanks again guys, really want to get this done!

#3 ·
If you crawl under your jeep and look up into the skid plate you will see two larger items on the exhaust the one closer to the front is the third cat and the on closer to the back is the muffler. In between them in a flange mount. Cat backs will remove everything after the flange mount and replace it.

Headers will replace the exhaust manifolds that connect to the engine.

I have the MBRP cat back and love the sound it makes, deeper growl but not extremely loud and only a small amount of drone at idle.

#5 ·
Yeah any good exhaust shop should be able to weld in a muffler for you. The catbacks are pricey but you'll have a better idea of what you are getting as far as sound goes (generally you'll find more youtube videos and such of cat back systems) I would say get onto youtube and start looking(listening). Make sure you use a decent set of speakers or headphones so you can listen for drone.

#9 ·
For what it's worth, I had a GMC Canyon with the 5 cylinder, put a MBRP cat-back system on it and it sounded great. When I'm done doing more important things to my TJ, that's what I'm going to buy for mine.

#10 ·
I have had glass packs before and they sound very Honda ricey and they tend to get louder and louder as the glass burns out. Also they don't really deepen the sound very much.

#13 ·
ps Glasspacks aren't bad from my experience. I had one on my 6 cyl ranger and I liked it, until I got my flowmaster 40 series lol..

*EDIT*

My Glasspack was like 28" long though, and I have heard that the longer the better as far as not sounding "ricey"

#16 ·
That seems cheap to make a difference but I'm probably wrong. Seems like most if you guys are agreeing that the thrush welded is good and loud but not annoying. Not to pricey and I would just have to get it welded correct? As for the end tip, do I use my stock one? Thanks again

#30 ·
Patrick H said:
I thought 2000 was the first year for 3 cats. Does look factory.
Mine was early 2000. I don't know if that would make a difference. But yeah only cat is the main one right before the muffler.

Production is 1-00

I thought 2000 was the start of the newer manifold?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.